What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

nose wheel pant bracket

erich weaver

Well Known Member
A couple of the brackets that secure the nose wheel pant are broken on my -7A and Im trying to figure out the correct part numbers to order. Vans is closed today, but searching here I found a reference to V-1013C-L and -R. However, I need both front back brackets and I dont think they are identical, so I have missed something. Can anyone help me out?

thanks

erich

I believe you need U-713C-L and R for the -7A nose wheel pant.

rQlaqPKl.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm. Thats not what mine looks like. I have two separate brackets, one up where the allen screw goes, and one back at the axle. Guessing things have changed since my build.

thanks

erich

Hmmm. Thats not what mine looks like. I have two separate brackets, one up where the allen screw goes, and one back at the axle. Guessing things have changed since my build.

thanks

erich

It sounds like you have the original style (non pressure recovery) wheel fairings. They have been obsolete for many years, but I think are still available as replacement parts (but I don't know the part #).

Did you build the airplane?
If not, this is an example of why getting plans when purchasing a completed airplane is so important.

Old style

I believe your looking for;
U-813D Left & Right
U-813C Left & Right

If you have the old style pants, the part shown in the picture above will definitely not fit. The good news is that it's pretty easy to bend some scrap aluminum and make the dual brackets you need for your setup for virtually $free.

Was able to find a set of plans and found this:

25804ut.jpg

Rich has it right above; U-813 C & D.

Will see if Vans still carries these or Im on my own for fabrication.

Whats interesting is that the nose wheel fairing part number is the same as shown in the previous post (U-813A) , so doesnt seem like that has changed?

Thanks guys

erich

Last edited:
A quick check on Vans website indicates they carry U-813D but not U-813C.

Seems strange they would have one but not the other. Also, the description for U-813D says "PR nose fairing brkht". Assuming "PR" means pressure recovery, this again suggests I do have pressure recovery wheel fairings and the brackets have changed rather than the fairing itself.

Erich

Mine use to be the same

Yes, you do have the pressure recovery pant with the older style brackets.
Mine was like that. Before I painted my plane I changed to the new style. I like them better. Easier to remove and reinstall. Take the Allen screws out and slide the wheel pant right off. The new ones slide over the axle bolt washers. I attached the brackets to my wheel pant and they are now part of the wheel pant.

A quick check on Vans website indicates they carry U-813D but not U-813C.

Seems strange they would have one but not the other. Also, the description for U-813D says "PR nose fairing brkht". Assuming "PR" means pressure recovery, this again suggests I do have pressure recovery wheel fairings and the brackets have changed rather than the fairing itself.

Erich

You may indeed have them.

There was a transitional period that the new nose wheel fairing used the old style brackets. But with the very limited information that you provided, I took my best shot at giving you what you were looking for.

That is why referring to plans that were used to build the airplane is always the best way to research parts needs.

As for parts availability?
Have you seen this - http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/news.htm#346-Availability

Last edited:
If you do indeed have the PR pants and want the new brackets, I?ve got a set you can have cheaper than from Vans. I bought them before realizing I had the older style pants and they?ve just been sitting. PM me if interested.

New Style Brackets - FS

I have a set of the new style brackets (no other kit parts) for sell. I just got them in from Vans three weeks ago when I ordered the replacement nose kit but decided to use my existing brackets on my new nose wheel skirt. I broke the original skirt parking in grass at 1K1 last month. Price $20 plus shipping. PM if interested.

I don't know what style pant I had on my 10 year old RV-7A. I discarded the old style brackets and went with the new style bracket. Much superior! Easy to install and much easier to work with. Definitely recommend switching if you can.

Back