What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Level Sensor Issue

MacPara

Well Known Member
I've searched the forum but could not find this being reported before, so maybe this is something no one else has seen yet.

While completing my annual I noticed vanishing fuel in my tank - at least according to the Dynon Skyview indication. Every time I came out to the hangar to complete another piece of the annual inspection the fuel level showed a bit lower. The Moeller gauge had not moved nor was the sight gauge (yeah, mine is still not leaking, knocking on wood) showing any lost fuel, so I knew this indicated a sensor issue.
First I thought this was another case of a sunk float, one that wasn't related to Bing this time, but my interpretation changed when I noticed the fuel level coming back up during some post-annual prop balancing work.
I decided to ignore the false indication, given that I have two additional (and working) sources to indicate fuel level and go flying.
On take-off the fuel level indicated 0 gallons and during a 30 minute flight the level came back up to 12 gallons only to fall back off to 9 at landing when the real fuel level was always more than 16 gallons.
Has anybody fought such a gremlin before?
My current theory is that this is unlikely a float issue but could possibly be related to a bad ground. The later would be odd as I did install a dedicated ground wire to the tank when I built her. However, this wire might be broken.
I'll investigate further and report what I find but was hoping to get some input from guys that might have seen this before and fixed it....

Seconded. I had my tank out to install all of the SBs, and repainted it with epoxy primer while it was out. After re-installing I had erratic and intermittent fuel level indications from the float gauge. I ended up having to run a dedicated ground wire to one of the float gauge screws, it's been fine since then.

Grounding the tank might not be good enough because tank sealant is an insulator. Take Dale's advice and ground the level sensor mounting plate.

Also, might be too warm where you're located...
-
254vi1x.png

Also, might be too warm where you're located...
-
254vi1x.png

For thoughs of you flying in the?cold?....the Bender Baffle is the best mod i?ve Done. Even flying down in AZ this Winter...several friends have really liked the warm air my heater kicks out in the early AM.

Grounding the tank might not be good enough because tank sealant is an insulator. Take Dale's advice and ground the level sensor mounting plate.

Yeah, that's what I've done. Ran a ground wire to the plate the sensor is mounted on. I will check the wire. I am pretty sure this has to be it.

A guy on our field got an SLSA with wandering fuel level indication. He found a bracket in the avionics bay that was used for ground, but the contact surface had been primed. After removing the primer the problem went away

Back