What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thicker rotor/twin piston calipers

Phantom30

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed better brakes on an RV-12? I know several guys who have upgraded brakes on RV-6 & 7's.

Why........?:)

Because I'd like better brake control @ less pedal pressure. Glendale tower had me do a tailwind landing during which required braking was at max...where side to side dancing was not to my liking.

During a discussion with a fellow RV driver, who has a -6, he stated he went to a thicker rotor/dual piston caliper brake (which he stated "much" better control ability.

And I'm an inquisitive guy😎

Ric,

If you have to use that much pedal force sounds like your brakes may have something wrong. The only time I ever had braking issues was with new pads before they were conditioned. Any chance some brake fluid or oil got on the rotors, or possibly some air in the lines?

Rich

I found out recently I can lock mine up on landing when late I decided I had to make the first turn off and used too much brake force. Why would you need more if you can lock the wheels? You must have something wrong, air in lines, contaminated linings etc.

Yeah, I don't think I have ever felt like I was running out of brake in any situation. The only time I really clamp down is during the run-up. I would also say to look for some other cause, like air in the lines or contaminated pads.

Has anyone installed better brakes on an RV-12? I know several guys who have upgraded brakes on RV-6 & 7's.

Have you checked with VANS? I know they are beefing up the iS version of the -12, to better accommodate flight schools. I wouldn't be surprised that beefier brakes are in the mix.

Also, how did the tower make you do a tailwind landing? I had that happen once in my Diamond and vowed to never accepted it again. Good Luck on the brake upgrade.

Have you checked with VANS? I know they are beefing up the iS version of the -12, to better accommodate flight schools. I wouldn't be surprised that beefier brakes are in the mix.

Also, how did the tower make you do a tailwind landing? I had that happen once in my Diamond and vowed to never accepted it again. Good Luck on the brake upgrade.

Tailwind landing...I was being given a local area orientation flight and i normally fly out of non-tower controlled airfields. I can guarantee you, it will not happen again!!

The brakes on the -12 are okay, but in checking design issues..they could be better. I happen to like "light" control forces. This could be achieved with slightly more robust brakes...this would add a little more weight; but hey, it's all about personal choices. I'm in no way faulting Van's design.

Back