What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Before I need to drill out rivets...

mciaglia

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to rivet the midfuse lower skin. I have been diligent in making sure I dimpled the F-1015 and F-1018 webs as they are not clearly defined in the plans, but looking ahead you realize there needs to be AN426AD-3 there later on. Also a huge shout out to Justin and Ed for mentioning that on their build logs.

But...

What about the attachment of the F-1018, F-1021 and the F-1034 bulkhead? There are two "keeper rivets" that need to go in. Yet in page 26-5 step 6 it clearly states to. ...dimple all EXCEPT the aft row of holes in the F-1018 which would be the ones for the keeper rivets. I have scoured the plans and can not find how these holes are dealt with.

Any help would be appreciated

The 2 keeper rivets per side are installed in 26-6 step 8.

If memory serves, nothing else is done with these until you get to 29-17 where the remaining 5 rivets per side are installed with the side skin.

I understand the 2 rivets get installed now but...
Is the F1015 dimpled and the 1018 with the 1034 bulkhead countersunk?
Are the remaining holes that match the skin countersunk and the outer skin dimpled?

I might be misunderstanding you, but the F-1015 is not in the assembly with the F-1034 bulkhead - it is further forward. I think you mean F-1018 for reference to the keeper rivets. The F-1015 has the gotcha.

Page 26-5 step 6 is telling you to hold off on drilling the aft holes because you don't have them joined up with the F-1034 fuselage bulkhead and the outer skin which is installed in Sect 29. The keepers are not part of that, so you can proceed on 26-6 with drill/dimple - but if you did the whole row you'd have an enlarged hole for the skin to mate with.

Reference 29-15 step 1 for the dimpling instructions. It calls out the F-1034, but I'm not finding the F-1018 specifically.

Forgive my memory. I know I drilled out these "keeper" rivets a couple times. No big deal. These on the end have easy access for a dimpler later on.

I would give a shout out to Mike and Sarah's blog (since you already mentioned Justin's and Ed's). They also have a nice write-up that might provide additional perspective.
http://mikeandsarahrv10.blogspot.com/2015/07/fuse-side-skins_12.html

My bad it's not the 1015, it's the 1018 and the rear support with the step attachment plate. Got it figured it I think. Dimple the 1018 and countersink the rear support leaving the bulkhead solid

Holes

The 2 keeper rivets per side are installed in 26-6 step 8.

If memory serves, nothing else is done with these until you get to 29-17 where the remaining 5 rivets per side are installed with the side skin.

^^ correct. I'm there now in my build.

Back