What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New FAA training rules

YellowJacket RV9

Well Known Member
Patron
It looks like some nice changes may be coming to the rules - most specifically (for me, anyways) allowing time in Technically Advanced Aircraft (which many of our RV's may qualify as) to count towards a commercial license.

"In April, the FAA discontinued the requirement that commercial pilot and flight instructor candidates conduct their single-engine airplane practical test in a complex airplane, and the final rule published June 27 takes that a step further. As of Aug. 27, commercial pilot candidates can use "technically advanced airplanes" in lieu of, or in combination with, a complex or turbine-powered airplane to satisfy the 10 hours of required training in these airplanes. This is estimated to save trainees $2.8 million over five years."

"Generally speaking, aircraft equipped with an electronic primary flight display (PFD) and multifunction display (MFD), as well as a two-axis autopilot, would qualify as a TAA,"

Now to find a CFI and DPE who are RV-friendly. I feel like I could spend a lot more time getting comfortable with the commercial maneuvers in my own plane, as opposed to having to learn and do it in a 30 year-old Arrow.

Chris

May be able to help

Chris -- if you cannot find a CFI willing to work with you in your airplane, maybe I can help. I do not want to take work away from someone who does the instruction for a living, so try to find a willing participant. We have several good instructors here, at KCLW, but I have never queried them on their aircraft preferences.

However, if you cannot find anyone, I would enjoy working with you in your airplane.

Ron Simonton, CFII

It looks like some nice changes may be coming to the rules - most specifically (for me, anyways) allowing time in Technically Advanced Aircraft (which many of our RV's may qualify as) to count towards a commercial license.

"In April, the FAA discontinued the requirement that commercial pilot and flight instructor candidates conduct their single-engine airplane practical test in a complex airplane, and the final rule published June 27 takes that a step further. As of Aug. 27, commercial pilot candidates can use "technically advanced airplanes" in lieu of, or in combination with, a complex or turbine-powered airplane to satisfy the 10 hours of required training in these airplanes. This is estimated to save trainees $2.8 million over five years."

"Generally speaking, aircraft equipped with an electronic primary flight display (PFD) and multifunction display (MFD), as well as a two-axis autopilot, would qualify as a TAA,"

Now to find a CFI and DPE who are RV-friendly. I feel like I could spend a lot more time getting comfortable with the commercial maneuvers in my own plane, as opposed to having to learn and do it in a 30 year-old Arrow.

Chris

I know a guy in Stewart FL that might do it. pM me and I?ll give you his info.

Back