What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking at Tie Down Options While at Sun 'n Fun

bacstabber

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm at the point where I have to consider what type of tie down system I want to use on my soon to be Airworthy aircraft. I have been researching all of the various anchoring types: screw-ins, EAA, side-pull and the straight-down pulls. I have been paying attention to ropes, straps and hardware to secure the aircraft to the anchors. All of them have their strengths and weakness.
Having witnessed the destruction of the Tornado at Sun 'n Fun a couple of years ago, I don't want to skimp on my tie down system. I do want a System that will be a best effort attempt to secure my aircraft and hopefully prevent my aircraft from being a threat to any neighboring aircraft. Lastly, I want my System to be light weight and efficient. The possibilities are just numerous enough to be a bit confusing. I know that others will judge me on my decisions and I do want to get it right.
Then, I came across what looks like a very light weight System in the Homebuilt Parking section of Sun 'n Fun. Haven't seen this System mentioned before. Must have missed the past discussions/posts. What do you think? Light Weight? Efficient? Good Neighborly?

IMG_1784_zpsa516482e.jpg

IMG_1783_zpse800d30c.jpg

Last edited:
How to Insert photos in your posts

Doug has included the link to "Insert Pics" in the upper left corner of each forum page. It's over there (<----) !

Last edited:
It took awhile but I finally was able to post the photos that were supposed to be attached to my initial post.

I don't mean to change the subject, but no matter what tie down you have you should check them periodically when at a flyin. I was at Sun-n-Fun last week with my RV-10 and when I checked my tie downs I noticed they had been moved and were only half way in the ground. If a storm had hit and my plane flipped I would have a big loss but not know it was because of someone else. I was told that when you park your plane there they can move it without asking you first - so beware.....

Kevin Belue

Back