What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One Cause of Shimmy!

PerfTech

Well Known Member
... I know that most people are aware of what I am writing about in this thread, but not everyone. In the course of performing our "Wheel Bearing Mod." over the last couple of years, and installing hundreds of tires we have become aware of something we want to share here. this may save some grief for a few guys. It appears that many (approx. 20% ) are not aware that the Matco wheels have a clocking mark (Photos below) that must be observed and lined up with the valve stem cutout when mounting your tires. The wheel halves will bolt together in three different positions with only one being correct. Every week we receive four or five that are clocked wrong, requiring us to dismount and remount the tires to correct this problem prior to us performing our machine work. When the tires are run with the wheel clocking off, the tires are often worn in with the error showing up as out of round tires and will definitely induce a shimmy into the nose gear. This clocking error also causes a misalignment of the bearing bores and will cause the bearings to bind up, inducing another possible shimmy. Also I want to point out that you can not mix up parts from two different wheels as they are machined as one unit and must stay together as a set. Thanks, Allan...:eek:

Thank you Allan for taking the time to show us this problem. I'm one of the few that was not aware of the clocking mark.

Allan... got the nose wheel bearing mod, trued and balanced tire that I sent in to you. BEST MOD I've ever done! Also installed the antiplat #2, all I can say is WOW! Thanks! :D

What about the Grove nosegear? Does it have a similar clocking requirement?

... The grove wheel has a slightly different arrangement with 1/2 of the valve stem hole in each side, thus eliminating the possibility of a clocking error. This is I believe a better arrangement as it removes any confusion. Thanks, Allan..:D

You are truly an asset to RV builders. Even as a repeat offender I did not know this and will be sure and check all my tires the next time. On my RV-6A I just completed the fly off hours on I did your wheel mod and installed the anti-splat and skid plate so no worries there.

Also, thanks again for your support of LOE-2013. You can expect I will hit you up again for LOE-2014.

Back