What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Praise for Senior FAA Medical Examiner Dr. A. Angelici

bacstabber

Well Known Member
Friend
While here at Sun 'n Fun, I stopped in the FAA Pavilion to look around. That's where I came across two Senior FAA Medical Examiners that where answering individuals' questions about their medical certifications. They were able to look on their computers and quickly sort out many of the Pilots' problems.

I listened to Dr. A. Angelici MD, a Senior Medical Examiner for the Southern Region, out of Atlanta, for a while as I waited my turn. I was a bit surprised to see how hard this AME was working to positively pave the way towards getting medical certificates for these pilots. This was in direct contradiction of one of my bias developed over the years of who the FAA is and how I expected them to behave. His advice was supportive and encouraging. He seemed to be trying to help these Pilots to fly, not ground them. He was giving them hope even though they may have to journey through the process.

With shrinking pilot numbers and increasing ages of the majority of Pilot Certificate holders, many of us are facing complications in obtaining or renewing our Medical Certificates. I have joined those ranks as I have started blood pressure meds since my last physical. By itself, this is not a big deal but the FAA does ask for some additional information. They want to know what's meds you are on, they want to see a recent EKG, they want some blood lab results, they want three recent blood pressures and they want a note from your physician stating that you are healthy and that your blood pressure is controlled on your meds without bad effects.

How do I know this? This is where Dr. Angelici comes in. Initially, I wasn't going to bother him about my physical. I would just patiently wait for their letter. But seeing how helpful he was with others, I started discussing my physical with him. He looked up my physical from several weeks ago. He found it stuck in some In-Basket with no action being taken as of yet! He apologized for this delay. Dr. Angelici personally contacted somebody he knew in Oklahoma who would start processing my Medical review. Within a few hours, I received an email outlining the above additional information that needs to be submitted. Dr. Angelici tried to be even more helpful by offering to accept my documentation directly by email to expedite the submission and to insure it got submitted correctly. This turned out to not be necessary since I now have a direct contact in Oklahoma thanks to Dr. Angelici.

He advised me get a new AME to do my physicals. There was no reason to not get my Medical Certificate from my AME directly instead of waiting for Oklahoma's actions. If there were any questions from Oklahoma, they would send a letter to me requesting more information.

I returned to the FAA Pavilion today to express my gratitude to Dr. Angelici for his actions. It feels so great to have witnessed how one person can so influence the anonymous governmental giant and serve his customer!
The message of this post, besides praising Dr. Angelici, is to advise others out there that it doesn't hurt to call the FAA Regional Medical Examiners if you are having a problem with your medical certificate. They have to play by the rules. But that doesn't mean they are trying to ground you. They may be able to help you to make the process as painless as possible.

Dr Angelici is the proud owner pilot of a AT-6 Texan that he flew to Sun 'n Fun. Even though he doesn't fly an RV, I personally think he is a great guy.

Yep

Thanks, Jack...a good read and I'm in the good Doctor's region.

At 67, I've been doing a pre-medical medical for the last few years, with my personal Doctor, blood workup and also his letter, that I take to my AME.

I also have an eye exam, before my flight physical, annually, to find out what, if any eye problems (cataracts?) and so on.

Thanks,

Back