VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-29-2018, 11:34 AM

Default Battery Tender

Is this what I want for the RV12 with an Odyssey battery?

BatteryMINDer® Model 2012-AGM $99.95.

http://www.batteryminders.com/2012ag...acid-batteries

Thanks. Jim
Old 10-29-2018, 12:00 PM

Yes. I just researched it and bought one two weeks ago. Works fantastic.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:25 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo54 View Post

Thanks. Jim
That is probably a good charger......but don't use it for trickle charging. Leaving a trickle charger on a battery has killed a bunch of Odysseys. That is a great battery that will hold nearly a full charge for several months. Trickle charging can result in premature death of the battery....do your battery a favor...leave the charger in the toolbox.

Many threads are in the forum archives on this subject, here is a recent one:

http://vansairforce.com/community/sh...ighlight=pc680

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 10-29-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:50 PM

I have Odyssey OBC-6A and leave it connected all winter long.

From Odyssey specs: Powerful enough to charge batteries quickly, yet sophisticated enough to leave them connected to your batteries indefinitely without damage...

The charger has a 6-stage process where stage #6 is:

Stage6-StorageReconditionMode: Duringthismodethe“StorageReconditionMode” green indicator will illuminate with a slow fade in and out pulse. This indicates that while your batteries are in storage the charger will automatically recondition the battery for up to 3 hours once a month extending battery life and maximizing the battery power performance.
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 406

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks

Last edited by Piper J3 : 10-29-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:56 PM

I too am in the "anti-trickle charger" crowd. Trickle-chargers have their place but not IMHO on an Odyssey battery -- I think they can do more harm than good. Of course, the best charger is to fly often. If you can't do that, the Odyssey battery seems to maintain its charge for a relatively long period of time -- over several months or more. Early on I purchased the factory Odyssey 6-amp charger and was not impressed -- it did not seem to do any trickle-charging and only kicked in to charge if the battery was extremely low on charge -- in some cases, you have to "trick" the charger into operation using a second nearly dead battery. Like for many products there are folks on both sides of the value equation (Marvel Mystery Oil comes to mind at the moment).

ps -- Living in northern California's somewhat temperate climate may play a role in my current (;?) experience. In my former upstate NY winter flying days with lead-acid batteries, use of trickle-chargers and light bulbs under the cowl was standard procedure.
EAA #23982 - EAA Technical Counselor and Flight Advisor; CFI - A&I
RV-12 E-LSA #120496 (SV w/ AP and ADS-B) - N124DH flying since March 2014 - 700+ hours (as of Nov 2018)!
VAF donation through June 2019.

Last edited by DHeal : 10-29-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeal View Post
Early on I purchased the factory Odyssey 6-amp charger and was not impressed -- it did not seem to do any trickle-charging and only kicked in to charge if the battery was extremely low on charge .
There would be your evidence that Odyssey themselves do not recommend trickle charging. They properly set up their charger to charge the battery and shut off when finished. If odyssey thought trickle charging was good for their batteries, I have all confidence that they would have designed it to do that. Instead, they had to produce a special unit that doesn't trickle charge because every other charger out there does.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 10-29-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:20 PM

+1 for NO trickle charging. I have seen several Odyssey batteries go belly up when left on a trickle charger.
RV-12 #120758, N912AE
Flying as of 4/28/15
Paid through December, 2019
Old 10-29-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
I have Odyssey OBC-6A and leave it connected all winter long.

From Odyssey specs: Powerful enough to charge batteries quickly, yet sophisticated enough to leave them connected to your batteries indefinitely without damage...

The charger has a 6-stage process where stage #6 is:

Stage6-StorageReconditionMode: Duringthismodethe“StorageReconditionMode” green indicator will illuminate with a slow fade in and out pulse. This indicates that while your batteries are in storage the charger will automatically recondition the battery for up to 3 hours once a month extending battery life and maximizing the battery power performance.
I also use one of these and have it hooked up at all times the plane is parked in the hangar.

This is my second Odyssey battery. The first one I replaced after 9 years just because. Others were talking about after 5-7 years having failures so I figured I was on borrowed time.

The first one was continually hooked to a Mean Well charger I got from Lockwood. I keep it as a backup. I got it out the other day and it was showing 12.42 volts on the multi meter. Maybe I didn't need a new battery after all??
Rotax Service, Maintenance, and Heavy Maintenance Trained
Building an RV-12, N7878H reserved
Flying a Flight Design CTSW
Old 10-29-2018, 02:20 PM

Default thread drift...

Only way to *know* whether you needed one is to do a load test. Charge it, hook up your typical in-flight load, and time it to Odyssey's spec for 'fully discharged' (IIRC, it's somewhere around 10.2-10.4 V). If the time comes up short of 75% of the new battery number (from their charts), it's time to replace. (Ability to start the engine tells you nothing about battery *energy* capacity; it only says it has enough *power* to spin the engine. )
Old 11-08-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo54 View Post

Thanks. Jim
Have used that trickle charger since the original RV-12 battery was installed. Has been going strong after 9+ years. Have it plugged in continuously when the temperatures are below about 50 degF or when I have not been flying for a few weeks. Have been using the cheaper AGM version. Similar to this.... http://www.batteryminders.com/batter...er-desulfator/
Davenport, IA

Last edited by MartySantic : 11-08-2018 at 04:26 PM.