What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for information...

Rich Pulman

Well Known Member
Sponsor
As mentioned on the main forum, I recently bought an RV-3A. It was delivered with a wealth of documentation dating back to when it was built by Mr. Alan Pickup, but there are still gaps in the data. I do know it was subsequently owned by Kevin Bendler, Mark Goss, then imported to Canada where it was owned by Gary Atkins, Cody Tucker, and now me.

As this is my first owned aircraft and my experience with GA aircraft is very limited, my learning curve is steep. But I am learning! And it?s fun. :)

Here are some things I need help with:

1. Is there an easy way to determine if CN-2 has been completed?

2. The left tire is worn on the inside. Is there a way to correct that, assuming the gear strut hasn?t been bent? The left wing is also a bit lower than the right side.

3. Where is the jack point for this aircraft?

Any help/suggestions are much appreciated.

I recently bought an early RV-3 serial # 190/10190 N93PJ.

#3. There should be a hole on underside of wing about mid-span. You can screw a 3/8 - 16 eyebolt or hexhead bolt as jacking point.

If the gear leg is bent, it can be sent in and straightened for a reasonable cost.

Contact Van's for details.

CN-2 Update

Plans sent by Vans for CN-2 mod. You should be able to confirm mod by viewing through aileron bellcrank inspection hole on wing bottom.

mcte09.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I?m sure I?ll more questions as I move along. Nice knowing people have the answers.

RV-3A?

So what engine did it come with and how much time does it have? Does it have a placard limiting G's to utility category? Enjoy your ride...great little a/c to have fun in for a reasonable per hour cost!

Doug

RV-3A w/O-290 (sold 2015)
RV-9A w/Mazda 13B / FWF

Hi Doug,

It has an O-290-D2 (whatever that means!) with roughly 600 hours SMOH. I have no details of its TTSN. It has excellent compression numbers, doesn?t burn much oil, and has lots of thrust.

The CofA prohibits aerobatics, which is why I?m trying to determine the status of the wing modifications. I will get that amended once I can prove that both CN-1 and CN-2 have been completed. Unfortunately, I spent 2/3 of my time away from home, so I haven?t been able to accomplish that task yet. Hopefully I can get a closer look when I?m home next week. Will also have a look at the airframe SBs. I have a lot to do and even more to learn. Pistons and props are all new to me!

It will take some time, but I intend to get the engine, airframe, and paperwork sorted out. I sweat the details. :)

Richard

CN-1/2

Hi Doug,

It has an O-290-D2..I will get that amended once I can prove that both CN-1 and CN-2 have been completed. Richard

Mine was an O-290 "G" which meant it started life as a ground power unit turning a generator on an old B-36, etc. I believe the "D2" was used back in the day to power various Piper Trip-Pacers, Family Cruisers, etc.

Mine had the "CN-1" accomplished but not "CN-2", and had I kept it I probably would have done that modification over a winter down time period. Since my core "mission" never included aerobatics, that wasn't a big issue for me but is to others of course. I flew mine for a year and put 50 hrs on it and averaged 4.8 gph cruising around at 135-140 mph at about 2200 rpm. Since I ran non-ethanol unleaded the hourly cost was very reasonable! Mine also had more of a climb prop on it and therefore topped out at 185 mph which still was fine since the climb performance was a hoot, especially if a boogerd up a landing a bit and bounced it; but could just added power and climb away prior to a second bounce as needed. :) Fly safe! Doug

RV-3A questions

I have a 1984 RV-3A, purchased with broken motor mount. The motor mount and gear legs are replaced together, as the gear legs are aligned and taper drilled in the field, you only get one shot. There have been a couple of threads here dealing with loose gear bolts, JB weld and other patches, but the best way to do it is replacement and it takes time. Do all your homework first.
I can tell you that the gear leg alignment is pretty straight forward, and important. Once you get it jacked up (in level flight attitude), if you take the wheels off, you have to ensure both axels are aligned parallel , and the measurement from fuse center line to axel , and from axel to center line at the tail wheel are pretty close. Mine were within 1/8". The angle of the axels to the ground will not be parallel with the airframe un-weighted.

As far as CN-1 and CN-2, I had that done on my plane. Yes you can look inside the inspection hole at the bell crank, but the best and most important check is to contact Vans. You CAN'T re-placard the airplane unless you contact Vans and document the changes. I had to get a builder number from them which corresponds to my serial number, They made some changes internally to update the Vans Registry to show me as the current owner so that you can receive service bulletins and other important info.
I had to order the "Kit" for CN-1 and CN-2 changes (less than $100) which is just a few sticks of angle aluminum, some sheet and a bunch of rivets. But it is important to order and receive the kit from Vans. There is not a lot of material, but it took us over 100 hours to remove the wings, drill out rivets to un-skin the bottoms, drill, rivet and install all the angle, lightening hole covers and other things. We had to fabricate several custom straps and braces as well.
Keep in mind that EVERY RV-3 is different...especially the early ones. They are all hand drilled by the builder, and mine had peculiarities that required consultation and supplemental drawings from Vans...don't worry, this was at no cost and they are VERY helpful. It is CRITICAL to inspect the wing attach bolts, spar carry over, and other structural elements while doing this if the goal is to do acro. There were some wing failures early on which were attributed mostly to poor build practices, but CN-1 and CN-2 were invoked to amend what was considered a "marginal" safety factor with the early spar construction.
All of this info can be gathered through this forum and from Vans, but having a starting point helps. I cant stress how important it is to document the entire process if you choose to take it on.
Best of luck to you.
Dave

Back