VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-13-2018, 09:03 AM

Below is a quote from page 2-2 of the D-180 installation manual. I suggest that ALL electrical loads be turned on during this test. Make sure the airframe ground connection is tight and that there is no paint interfering with the connection.

Quote:
Because of the current drawn by the FlightDEK-D180, even very small resistances between
battery ground and instrument ground can cause voltage differences which adversely affect
engine sensor readings. An easy way to test the quality of the instrument’s ground is to measure
voltage between the ground pin at the FlightDEK-D180 and the ground lead at your aircraft’s
battery. With the FlightDEK-D180 powered on, connect one lead of your voltmeter to a free
ground lead coming from the FlightDEK-D180. Connect the other lead of your voltmeter to the
ground terminal of your battery. The voltage between these two points should measure very
close to 0 mV (within 5 mV). If it does not, you must improve the ground connection between
the ground of your battery and that of your avionics bus.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:05 PM

Thanks,Joe.

After reading through the manuals I think what I heard in the middle of the cacophony was “EMS Alert” as opposed to “EMF Low”. I talked to Dynon today and will send the unit in tomorrow to get checked. I don’t think it is a grounding issue because only the temperature indications are affected. I’ll let you know whatDynon says.

Rich
Old 11-13-2018, 08:06 PM

I'm no expert like Joe Gores, but I think a failing voltage regulator has the potential to generate all kinds of strange electrical readings from sensors. I've also read that replacing the battery for some people has for whatever reason extinguished unexplained gremlins.
RV-12, N913BC
http://www.mykitlog.com/brent45

Check out & subscribe to my Youtube channel for latest RV-12 flying videos...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxQ...Px2I7jmazGdLqg
Old 11-14-2018, 12:26 PM

Just FYI.. sorta related.. these symptoms reminded me of a video I had watched recently..

skip to 5:30 where his electrical problem begins.. and 7:45 he shows you the weird sensor readings..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRvJ-5JgT_4

This guy's problem turned out to be that the B+ wire to the alternator was arcing. But, it goes to show you how an electrical issue may show up on sensors... not a way I would expect.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:15 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I sent the unit to Dynon today, so we’ll see.