Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2018, 06:22 AM

Sounds like you did a good job. Dont mess with success! After you fly for a while at various flight conditions if you want to change it you always can, say at the next CI.
One Week Wonder Build Team, OSH 2018.
VAF paid through 10/2019.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:38 PM

I second what Chris said. if you’re happy with the performance say a prayer of thanks and leave it alone!😜
Old 11-14-2018, 01:15 PM

Default About the white Delrin pitch cylinder

"Of course, you can always use a protractor if you want and not use the pitch cylinder."

This may be obvious, but it wasn't to me and I did not see it in print anywhere: if you do decide, as I did, to use the suggested replacement hub (D-1?) and do not replace the white Delrin cylinder (which I did not) you have to make sure that the blades are seated as far out as possible when you tighten the new hub. I failed to do so and was surprised when my spinner would no longer fit. It acted as if the blades had become fatter, which led to me wondering if they were being pulled in further and presenting a wider part of the prop to the spinner.

I contacted Sensenich and quickly received an answer: I could put the cylinder back in to ensure proper blade positioning, or make sure that the blades are as far out as possible.

I'm putting the cylinder back in. YMMV.

RV-6 N466PG Purchased already flying - SOLD!

Built RV-12
http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com

The above web blogs and any links provided thereto are not instructional or advisory in nature. They merely seek to share my experiences in building and flying Van's RV airplanes.
Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM

Default FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeal View Post
Right after I sent my double-cracked original hub cover to Sensenich they sent me (and I paid for) the newer "D1" hub cover. The D1 cover looks somewhat the same as the original cover but is thicker in cross-section near the perimeter of the big round pitch adjustment hole. The Sensenich engineer assured me that the D1 cover was much stronger than the original and was more than adequate to the task. I guess we'll see if that proves true.

It is my understanding that the three-hole hub cover is an optional alternative offered by Sensenich but its availability may be delayed by production issues. The use of a three-hole cover on an older one-big-hole cover means that you lose the auto-adjustment capability (not a big deal in my view) or you have to send the whole prop back to Sensenich for a pitch-adjuster mod. Lots of info on this in previous posts. Also, read Sensenich's FAQ and SB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgamble View Post
"Of course, you can always use a protractor if you want and not use the pitch cylinder."

This may be obvious, but it wasn't to me and I did not see it in print anywhere: if you do decide, as I did, to use the suggested replacement hub (D-1?) and do not replace the white Delrin cylinder (which I did not) you have to make sure that the blades are seated as far out as possible when you tighten the new hub. I failed to do so and was surprised when my spinner would no longer fit. It acted as if the blades had become fatter, which led to me wondering if they were being pulled in further and presenting a wider part of the prop to the spinner.

I contacted Sensenich and quickly received an answer: I could put the cylinder back in to ensure proper blade positioning, or make sure that the blades are as far out as possible.

I'm putting the cylinder back in. YMMV.
The FAQ (http://www.sensenich.com/wp-content/...16-06-revB.pdf) provides great information. Am I correct in thinking that Sensenich will sell us just the front cover half ‘E’ or ‘F’? If so what’s the cost?
#120043 N728SL
VAF paid 2018
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slane View Post
Am I correct in thinking that Sensenich will sell us just the front cover half ‘E’ or ‘F’? If so what’s the cost?
I ordered only front half of Rev “F” Hub Cover with mounting bolts and hardware in July, 2018 for $195. Sensenich says this is discount price but I think they would have provided it for free based on severity of the SB...
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2007
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 406

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slane View Post
The FAQ (http://www.sensenich.com/wp-content/...16-06-revB.pdf) provides great information. Am I correct in thinking that Sensenich will sell us just the front cover half ‘E’ or ‘F’? If so what’s the cost?
Scott,
This is a link to a post (post 119) from Sensenich about this in another thread.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...74#post1284274

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...&postcount=119

John