What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New to the forum...

Jaudette

Hey Guy's... I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to post. I'm a relatively new RV owner... About a year ago I sold my Maule and bought a 1977 V35B. Then my father in law decided he wanted to get back into flying. So we bought the a RV-7A and have enjoyed it immensely! I mostly fly my V35B but am gradually starting to fly the RV more and my father in law is flying it less... I've put about 20 hours on it and LOVE the performance!

This thing jumps off the ground!!! I'm wondering if any of you take your RV's into the back-country? The only thing I miss about my Maule was hitting those short strips. My V35 is certainly capable of back-country flying, but its way too pretty... Are there any mods to reinforce the landing gear or put on bigger tires?

Just think it would be a great plane for it!

Anyways, here's a pic...

RV7A_zpss7zrizi5.jpeg

Back Country...

You may want to get another tail dragger. Nose gear may cause issues on rougher than normal strips.

You may want to get another tail dragger. Nose gear may cause issues on rougher than normal strips.

Yeah - I love the way the RV flys! Just thought if the tires were a little bigger and the gear were a little stronger it would be a great little airplane for camping.

Jim

Our RV4 has been in many of the back country strips for camping in Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington. Some trips lasted 10 days and that included tent, bags, single burner stove and my favorite, freeze dried food :) You'll get the religion by wearing your holy underwear and throwing out when no longer needed enroute. That's a trick from extended Harley rides.

Cheers, Hans

Tires and toothpick

Hi Jim,
I installed 380 tires on my -6a and I thought that it provided a tad bit better non-paved performance but the toothpick on front will be your limiting factor. I am sure the Maule instilled good taxing habits and the -7a requires the same stick in the lap taxing. The challenge is when that little bitty nose wheel finds a depression or ridge or whatever that hinders its ability to ride over it. The stick in the lap works but it still has its limitations. I was able to land my 6a routinely in a shorter distance than the conventional RV's and Van's even suggests that's the case but the honest truth is that the tailwheel design just has the upper hand on rough fields. I think its good advise to know what the field looks like if possible before attempting to land. The -a RV's are great, just proceed with caution and practice good taxing habits. As far as recommending devices to the nose wheel, well, welcome to the VAF and the search function on pluses and minuses of such devices.
Good luck!
cj

Yeah - I love the way the RV flys! Just thought if the tires were a little bigger and the gear were a little stronger it would be a great little airplane for camping.

Jim

Back