What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Affordable hangar rent in S.E. Florida?

crewdog434

Ok, I know that title had to generate some laughs. But, we're looking at the possibility of relocating next year and we'll be looking for a new place to hangar Stella.
Pompano and Boca Rotan both want up to $800/month for rent! :mad:

Sorry, but up here in the Midwest we call that a "housing mortgage".

I totally understand supply and demand. But, c'mon! I smell a rat in the shop somewhere. The same hangar at my home airport would cost about $120/mo.

So, since complaining and whining won't make the rates come down, does anyone have any input on how best to keep your hard-built aircraft indoors in Florida? Keeping the RV outdoors IS NOT an option. I'd keep her up north before letting the sun and weather destroy her.

Thanks everyone!

Be prepared to drive... I drive over an hour, past 3 airports I can?t afford, to hangar my plane for a somewhat reasonable $270 a month. And even if I did want to pay $500-600 for a hangar the waiting lists are often 5-10 years. That is here on the west coast of FL. Maybe look a ways inland to some of the smaller airparks?

Chris

Hangar space at Lantana (KLNA) airport can be found sometimes...+/- 600 seems to be the current rate for shared space.

Driving in to Clewiston (2IS) you might be able to find something for ~300.

Thank you gotime242....I'll look inland a bit. But, Stella might have to stay up north....no point in going bankrupt trying to pay ridiculous hangar rent fees

Thank you gotime242....I'll look inland a bit. But, Stella might have to stay up north....no point in going bankrupt trying to pay ridiculous hangar rent fees

We have two snowbirds at our field (KGDW) in Michigan that leave their planes behind due to the high cost of desirable hanger space in Florida.

You didn?t state what you would pay, hanger within 30 mins, 1 hr, 2 hrs.
to give us an idea of your expectations.
R

Paradise ain't cheap, think hangar rent is bad look at my mortgage. Looking at water is expensive.

Bob burns
Rv4 n82rb

Partnerships

are the only way I could ever afford to own/operate an airplane. I have owned 18 airplanes in my lifetime, always in partnerships of 1-7 others. Hangar rents, maintenance, insurance, upgrades, etc. are always more affordable. The airplane gets the care it needs and gets flown more often.

You don't have to give up ownership to have partners --- an "operating" partner works fine. Share expenses, but not ownership --- insurance is never a problem with such an arrangement. We generally go with "named" pilots.

I have never had a serious issue with a partnership.

Just my opinion.

Ron

are the only way I could ever afford to own/operate an airplane. I have owned 18 airplanes in my lifetime, always in partnerships of 1-7 others. Hangar rents, maintenance, insurance, upgrades, etc. are always more affordable. The airplane gets the care it needs and gets flown more often.

You don't have to give up ownership to have partners --- an "operating" partner works fine. Share expenses, but not ownership --- insurance is never a problem with such an arrangement. We generally go with "named" pilots.

I have never had a serious issue with a partnership.

Just my opinion.

Ron

Sorry for the thread drift. Has your research showed that it is ok to share expenses with non-owner partners in an experimental plane? I am interested in this approach, but understood the rules to state that expenses couldn't be shared for exp aircraft, except with other owners. Can you help educate me on this?

Larry

We call it the sunshine tax down here. It offsets the no state income tax, no tax on food, no tax on 'scripts and the (welcome) departure of snowbirds every six months.

Back