What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GARMIN 335 GPS antenna location

avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Hi all-

Getting ready to install my GARMIN 335. Was planning on mounting the GPS antenna on the glareshield. Has anyone else used this location and if so did you have to prepare the surface in any way to promote satisfactory electrical bonding of the antenna to the glareshield?
Would also be interested in alternative locations for the GPS antenna.
Thanks!

Peter K
RV9A

I have a 335 in my RV-8 with the antenna on the glare shield. The metal of the glare shield works fine as a ground plane and my PAPR report comes out clean.

I did consider having it on the turtle deck behind the seat bulkhead where it would be clear of interfering with the canopy, but that would entail tricky routing of the cable on a finished aircraft.

There are guidelines for separating multiple GPS antennae, but mine works OK close to another on the coaming.

I have a gtx335 in my rv6. The gps antenna is mounted under the cowling, on the firewall, behind the #3 cylinder. It is mounted on a simple aluminum bracket i made. Works great, clean report and hidden from view.

14384-F54-6-F88-4-FD0-ACBE-C93320-E208-A2.jpg

Last edited:
Back