What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail N-number Templates Available?

Template

Have a local sign shop make them. They would be cut from 3M mask (frisket) self adhesive vinyl. Apply, spray and peel off mask.

I could do them for you.

Tim

n number

Aerographics is best, a local sign shop did not do mine correctly. Aerographics will do any size and they will be to FAR's.

Aircraft Spruce templates

Aircraft Spruce sells templates of all kinds for this. That's where I got mine years ago. Send them the tail number and they'll produce as a unit in the size, style you select.

Chris

Spruce

Got my small number (3"?) spray stencil from Spruce. I'm quite sure I saw stencils for 12" numerals too.

Aircraft Spruce sells templates of all kinds for this. That's where I got mine years ago. Send them the tail number and they'll produce as a unit in the size, style you select.

Chris

Be careful if you get them from Aircraft Spruce - I failed my airworthiness inspection because the DAR took a scale to the lettering I got from A/C spruce and found the "B" in N164BL was 1/8" too narrow for the height of the lettering.

This was with the slanted 3" letters.

I see, they are called Stencils at aircraftspruce. I knew about their templates but didn't know what the correct name was for the inverse operation.

Thanks!

Does anyone know a source for templates so i can spray paint simple 12" N numbers? Thanks!
Jae

Scheme Designers supplied my paint mask. They came from Aerographics in Florida. I received them a couple days after placing the order. They over nighted a replacement mask when we discovered the numbers in the wrong sequence on one side.

I did try getting quotes from several local printers. I got the typically response when they heard it was for an aircraft and a high price on the quote.

It is so easy to apply vinyl graphics why both painting them on? I had mine done at a local sign shop for $10 each while I waited. Took all of 20 minutes to put them on.

My plane is still unpainted, so i am looking to spray paint on the 12" numbers temporarily for a possible Mexico trip. Then I will wipe it off with acetone when the trip is over. :D

vinyl a pretty good option

My plane is still unpainted, so i am looking to spray paint on the 12" numbers temporarily for a possible Mexico trip. Then I will wipe it off with acetone when the trip is over. :D

IF you ask a decent sign shop to supply 'removable' vinyl, you should get 3.2 mil claendared vinyl, which is easy to apply, and remove for about 6 months, depending on exposure. Limited colours though.
.....but sounds a lot less messy than washing off paint, no?

FWIW, there are 2 kinds of sign shops i've run across, there are the pros, who charge a fair price for their time and expertise, and then the other 90%, where some guy bought a franchise for his wife, 'cause she was 'artistic'.... and now the kids and neighbours work there. :rolleyes:

Back