What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old Vs New Rudder Pedals

csgj

Hi Everyone
I am looking at a already built 6a to purchase
The one I have my eye on was started in the early or mid 90's when the rudder pedals were on the floor as opposed to the current version.
The plane was basically in storage for many yrs partially completed and just recently the new owner is completing the plane
My question is the floor mounted pedals a big problem to have as long as the SB has been done to strengthen them?
Any other reasons I should know why Van changed the style of the pedals and if the plane is great in all other ways would you consider the pedals not a big deal?
Thanks!
:confused:
Craig

Note that the overhead pedals also had a service bulletin on them, I had to apply it to my -6 after I bought it. Same problem, just in the overhead tubing instead of the floor-mounted tubing.

Near as I can tell, the overhead pedals would be trivial to retrofit to a completed -6 that has floor-mounted pedals. Getting the floor mounted pedals *out* of a completed -6 may be difficult... I understand that the tubes run under the battery box.

The overhead pedals have the benefit of leaving the floor clean and flat. Much easier to put a carpet in. The floor-mounted pedals I expect would make it easier to apply rudder without inadvertently applying some brake too. I'm sure you could get used to either.

Both are good. It is an easy change, so I would not let it affect my decision on the purchase.
The battery box comes out easy and the floor mounted pedals do also.
I would make sure the fix to the arms has been done. I push hard on my pedals sometimes and would hate to see one break.

They'fe fine if you aren't extra long-legged

My -6 has the floor-mounted pedals and they are fine. It is much harder to keep the floor clean and they are less friendly to really tall folks, although I've had 6'4" people ride in the plane. I very much like the geometry of the rudder and brake.

When I bought, I thought I might convert. Five years later, I never give that effort a thought as I'm quite satisfied with the floor-mounts.

Back