What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane Power alternator dying?

kevinh

Well Known Member
Hi ya'll,

I'd like to request diagnostic assistance:

I'm on the way to OSH and noticed an odd thing: normally my master bus voltage is 13.6. However, on the last leg of my flight it dropped to 13.2 and then 12.9. I was like 'uh oh' - I have an ebus, but wasn't looking forward to swapping alts at OSH.

So I started turning things off. As soon as I turned off the autopilot servos, it went back up to 13.6 (yay! alternator working again). Later in the flight it started to creep down to 13.4. Then I turned off strobes and it went back up to 13.6.

So, is my alternator dying? I'm thinking it is unlikely a connections problem because lowering the draw allows the current to stay up. (Also, if you are thinking this is due to the ~.6V drop from the e-bus diode, my voltage is measured from the master fuse bus)

Last edited by a moderator:
if you are close to C09 Morris, IL ... i would be happy to meet you at the airport and you are welcome to use our tools to look into it.

chris @ checca.net

Why is your master buss voltage at 13.6 normally? It should be hovering around 14 volts, no?

Why is your master buss voltage at 13.6 normally? It should be hovering around 14 volts, no?

I would have thought the same (expecting 14.2), however back when I switched to a PP alt it was 13.6 - I had presumed that they bumped the regulator down a bit compared to automotive uses. Anyone here have a PP alt and can report what their normal voltage is?

Of course - I'll call em on Monday from OSH or hopefully they are there.

In my 8 endurance bus read 13,6 Volt with PP Alternator, but this is because I feed this bus from main bus with a diode.

Just my 2 cents

My PP alternator is rock steady at 14.35 volts- I know this because my EIS is constantly going back and forth between 14.3 and 14.4 volts...

Mine's 14.3-14.4V...always.. never seen it below that. I'd think that 13.6 should work, but it's kinda on the lower end of the scale...

I did some more testing this morning. It is 14.2 volts at the master bus and the EIS (which is on the ebus so behind a diode) slows 13.6.

The dynon is on the master bus and I don't know why it has started bouncing around all of the sudden. When it is a bit cooler I'll make sure the connection it has to the master bus is good. But now that the mystery is solved I can investigate more at home.

For the benefit of future searchers who might have something similar:

Tightening the screws on the dynon dsub fixed it - I guess I had a marginal contact for the power pin on that connector.

I did some more testing this morning. It is 14.2 volts at the master bus and the EIS (which is on the ebus so behind a diode) slows 13.6.

The dynon is on the master bus and I don't know why it has started bouncing around all of the sudden. When it is a bit cooler I'll make sure the connection it has to the master bus is good. But now that the mystery is solved I can investigate more at home.

Back