What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

2 mag questions

rvator9a

Well Known Member
Is it ok to use self locking nuts and washers only on mag hold down nuts or are they required to be safety wired? Are the mag primary wires shielded all the way from the mag to the switch and if so is there a good source to buy them?

I believe SOP is to use plain nuts with internal tooth lockwashers, no safety wire. That's how mine was equipped from the factory.

I used shielded wire for the entire run from mag to switch, using the shield to complete the ground when the switch is in the "off" position. The wire came with Van's wiring kit, but I'm sure Aircraft Spruce or similar would have it too.

Self locking nuts are fine for mag hold downs. Typically plain nuts with lock washers are used.
There is no reason to safety wire them.
The "P" leads should be shielded. Pretty much any shielded wire will do.

Self locking nuts are fine for mag hold downs. Typically plain nuts with lock washers are used.
There is no reason to safety wire them.
The "P" leads should be shielded. Pretty much any shielded wire will do.
BTW, I used internal star washers and replaced them every time I removed a mag. That is one place where trying to save the cost of a washer could put you in the trees.

Back