What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bead Breaker

dan

Well Known Member
Yesterday I borrowed this bead breaker from a hangar neighbor, and it worked great:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92961
92961.gif

So I looked up the cost ($39.99) and what not, and I saw this smaller one for half the price:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98875
98875.gif

Anybody know if the smaller one works on our 5" wheels/tires? Sure looks like it'd be perfect, but I wanted to ask around first.

The pictire sure looks more like an aircraft tire than a motorcycle tire. I would bet my $20 that it would work.

I've only had the pleasure of changing aircraft tires once, but I just put the wheel on the floor and stood on the tire. This separated the bead from the wheel. Flipped it over and did the other side. Free, easy and effective. Is there a reason not to do it this way?

I frequently have problems breaking the bead on my wheels / tires. Typically I jack up my truck and use wood between the floor and wheel then use a 4 X 4 between the truck frame and tire. This typically works but sometimes I need to rotate the tire to get another spot.

I question if the lever arm on the smaller unit has enough leverage for the worst case bead break.

I've only had the pleasure of changing aircraft tires once, but I just put the wheel on the floor and stood on the tire. This separated the bead from the wheel. Flipped it over and did the other side. Free, easy and effective. Is there a reason not to do it this way?

I've always done it that way, and I weight about 160, so it doesn't take a heavyweight. Also, I usually put a piece of carpet, a towel, or a piece of cardboard under the wheel so the wheel isn't grinding into the hangar floor when I stand on it.

IF YOU PUT ABOUT A CUP OF AVGAS ON THE BEAD AND LET IT SOAK FOR A LITTLE WHILE THE BEAD WILL SEPERATE WITH VERY LITTLE EFFORT AND USUALLY DOES NOT REQUIRE A BEAD BREAKER

BEAD BREAKER

IF YOU PUT ABOUT A CUP OF AVGAS ON THE BEAD AND LET IT SOAK FOR A LITTLE WHILE THE BEAD WILL SEPERATE WITH VERY LITTLE EFFORT AND USUALLY DOES NOT REQUIRE A BEAD BREAKER

Looking at the dimensions...

I question if the lever arm on the smaller unit has enough leverage for the worst case bead break.

...on the HF site.

It seems to be a 12 inch handle with a 3:1 mechanical advantage.

Since you can easily rotate the tire and progressively break the bead, it seems to me like it should work.

I think I'll buy one on my next trip to HF and make it a communal tool...:)

tire iron?

i have been using a tire tool from my dirt bike days. it is about 12 inches long with a curved tip which can get between the tire and rim to pry the bead off. will post pic later. will try the gas trick next time.

Thanks Jerry...that's the simplest & most elegant solution I've heard so far. :)

...and I saw this smaller one for half the price:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98875
98875.gif

Anybody know if the smaller one works on our 5" wheels/tires? Sure looks like it'd be perfect, but I wanted to ask around first.

For anyone who's interested-
I broke down and bought this tool and frankly I think it IS perfect. Plenty of leverage, small and fairly light but seems sturdy. I'd previously tried the avgas trick and still had a lot of trouble. I used this tool on my nose wheel and it was a piece of cake, I think the mains would be even easier. 20 bucks well spent IMHO.

Last edited:
Cheap and affordable

Go to www.mnwing.org and click on building tips. There is a write up there by Tom Berge (multiple offender and tech counsellor) on building a bead breaker out of simple parts for less than 10 bucks. Check it out.

Last edited:
Back