What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire connectors in wingtip

Westerhuis

Hi everyone

I had to remove the wingtip and realised that the builder used a crimp connection to connect the wiring in the wingtip with the wiring that runs through the wing. I had to cut the wires and plan on using a connector instead when reinstalling, to make it easier to remove the wingtip in the future.

Any reason why that is not a good idea / why the builder might not have done that? I was wondering if the strobe light and the amount of power that needs has something to do with it?

The photo is what it was.

What are the clear plastic tubes? And what connectors would one recommend instead? I just ordered a 3-pins molex connector suitable for w14-20AWG

Probabaly a basic question but I'd rather do it right.

Thanks

Roger

CdciBF_jg8kwn_cZp2qSTqR7iTsKIGE_LPD5SK-uNfRPghHs8vAF1BScQbwDqhsph0dn7ioiDJfgUGr9aOPG28H_awWkViJgsAn1-RHFxA8rWSz-H6vNa3jJOBL9YaFTimysUnXdx2KQ3nWNLQpljWIiNCyyp9zb7ohOxpuDfyR2bWJIYqEAhDcsPI93u_4oHtcORdan4w8pWqYwVP8c5PcOubQlDgJ02EF5RzMVewlfVJ_SeyjjBBxDgcnIkI_rq660TGEccT_9k4i72X9xFsTJ64Gt62UCRhHYVgvCglzXtHwm1NmQhvO_ebVC97nQJlFVSZGLal2-w6iXHkuP4_BCKMj3FuYWKF58BSwfi5UVVsnOjNUMgIqyaWwcxOaKIsI2hRQSHgqztAYbrYkhVJAtvwQqW550cSYfRTQ9ES9MD2MZ15AqDRMePPam7HDBUNBrWvhlId9wbJnajfpodu645fitp2hE92S4vAFoSYAOi4_G-RBS7-piG1EjsxmYzmuO2Lic8hBUat8OIVhiD6QmchACnWGj2p8Q8TLVXuV3J-FGBQpKSvnG3U2DmTLcG_0zWbPbGgjrCnxCfGTDIXJQKOavJs-421fcmqKBjYgau_CMpuc37zR2n43TN9gV18leSnqXNOgngnmGbdYNxpNIZbeFzh7TmRvCUh73M8Q=w500-h1058-no

Hi everyone

I had to remove the wingtip and realised that the builder used a crimp connection to connect the wiring in the wingtip with the wiring that runs through the wing. I had to cut the wires and plan on using a connector instead when reinstalling, to make it easier to remove the wingtip in the future.

Any reason why that is not a good idea / why the builder might not have done that? I was wondering if the strobe light and the amount of power that needs has something to do with it?

The photo is what it was.

What are the clear plastic tubes? And what connectors would one recommend instead? I just ordered a 3-pins molex connector suitable for w14-20AWG

Probabaly a basic question but I'd rather do it right.

Thanks

Roger

CdciBF_jg8kwn_cZp2qSTqR7iTsKIGE_LPD5SK-uNfRPghHs8vAF1BScQbwDqhsph0dn7ioiDJfgUGr9aOPG28H_awWkViJgsAn1-RHFxA8rWSz-H6vNa3jJOBL9YaFTimysUnXdx2KQ3nWNLQpljWIiNCyyp9zb7ohOxpuDfyR2bWJIYqEAhDcsPI93u_4oHtcORdan4w8pWqYwVP8c5PcOubQlDgJ02EF5RzMVewlfVJ_SeyjjBBxDgcnIkI_rq660TGEccT_9k4i72X9xFsTJ64Gt62UCRhHYVgvCglzXtHwm1NmQhvO_ebVC97nQJlFVSZGLal2-w6iXHkuP4_BCKMj3FuYWKF58BSwfi5UVVsnOjNUMgIqyaWwcxOaKIsI2hRQSHgqztAYbrYkhVJAtvwQqW550cSYfRTQ9ES9MD2MZ15AqDRMePPam7HDBUNBrWvhlId9wbJnajfpodu645fitp2hE92S4vAFoSYAOi4_G-RBS7-piG1EjsxmYzmuO2Lic8hBUat8OIVhiD6QmchACnWGj2p8Q8TLVXuV3J-FGBQpKSvnG3U2DmTLcG_0zWbPbGgjrCnxCfGTDIXJQKOavJs-421fcmqKBjYgau_CMpuc37zR2n43TN9gV18leSnqXNOgngnmGbdYNxpNIZbeFzh7TmRvCUh73M8Q=w500-h1058-no

These are butt splices. Good way to connect two wire ends securely but not as convenient as a connector. I like solder splices as well for permanent connections. If I were doing a butt splice I'd put some shrink wrap over it to seal it (same for solder splices even though they are sealed on the ends).

Molex connectors are a good option and work well in general. I've been using these rather expensive but nicely made and sealed connectors in a few places: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=156024&highlight=Deutsch

Those look like a normal wire-to-wire crimped connector. There is no reason not to use a connector there. There are many reasons people don't like connectors.

a. PITA to investigate, size properly, procure tools, locate a good source, and wait on shipping.
b. just another connection ( not really valid)
c. good connectors cost more than a soldered joint
d. a connector is a point for potential failure. Kinda valid but good connectors are very reliable. Deutsch DT as an example are very very reliable and weather proof.
e. they add weight. (not as much as fuel drain fairings)

If one has a good reason for installing them - like maintenance etc, it will make ownership maintenance easier.

Just my thoughts. I did not use connectors for reason "a".

Back