What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 with Tundra Tires

dtw_rv6

Well Known Member
Has anyone ever mounted large tundra tires on their RV? I'd love to do some back country flying like the Flying Cowboys, but I'm not ready to buy a second airplane.

I'm thinking that a beefed up tailwheel and mains could be attached for the few missions I'd take each year, then swap it back out for the normal profile when I want to go fast...

Don

Last edited:
Hi Don,

This topic seems to come up every few years. It’s not always easy to find older stuff on VAF. Here is a link to an old thread describing an RV with 8.50x600 on Matco wheels ...

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=120098

Addendum: there are a number of RV’s with 380x15 tyres which fit on the standard Bans axles. There are also several RV’s flying with 6.00 tires including a very nice RV-14 which also used a Maule tailwheel.

Last edited:
I have 380 x 150 - 5 tires on my RV-8. On grass strips, gravel, even packed sandy surfaces like at my gliderport, the larger tires are great, a really noticeable improvement.

I would not say, however, that they rise to the level of back-country tires. I wouldn't land on sand dunes or gravel bars with them, or even a field full of squirrel holes.

Back