What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

None tso ifr

FWIW, my neighbor (multi-builder of tube/fabric + RV, CFI, A&P/IA, etc) installed one in a Tailwind for instrument flying.

The only things required in even a type certificated aircraft under part 91 that needs to meet a tso are the transponder, an IFR GPS, and the adsb GPS source. That unit can be installed in any part 91 airplane under IFR.

Bob burns
Rv-4 n82rb

Don?t ?Need? an IFR GPS

We flew IFR for many years before GPS was born. The OP is correct in that the Val429 can provide the minimum legal equipment required - I used one myself for years.
The problem today is that VORs and marker beacons are quickly disappearing. While ILS approaches will probably be with us for quite a while, it?s getting harder to identify fixes without VORs. Also, with VORs falling by the wayside, the non-precision approaches they supported are being replaced by GPS.
Short story, you can be ?legal? with just the Val, but the approaches limited to that equipment are getting scarecer every day.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Just to be clear, the current FARs for ifr gps, and ADSB gps, do not mention TSO. Instead, they say ?approved?. In FAR 1.1 (definitions) it says ?A TSO is one way, but not the only way, to (be approved)?. The FAA has approved a number of ADSB gps sources for EAB aircraft that are not TSO?d. To my knowledge, they have not approved any non TSO?d gps for IFR. But at least one avionics company - GRT - is quietly testing these waters. 5 years agoI?d have bet that this would never gain ifr approval. But now - with non-TSO?d D10?s and G5?s replacing the primary attitude indicator in nornally certified aircraft, I think there is some hope for a much lower cost approved ifr gps.

Back