What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight to San Juan Islands from So Cal

csgj

OK taking the apprehensive wife for a week vacation flying that little plane (-6a) from Southern Cal to the San Juan Islands.
It should be about a week trip with us leaving our home airport L70 agua dulce this friday.
Trying to make it short legs, no mountain flying, and leaving in the early AM
We should be at KSTS for one day, Gold Beach 4S1 for the jet boats on day 2, and the san juan islands day 3 &4. We will come back thru central oregon and stay at the sunriver resort S21 one day, and then stay somewhere in Northern Cal before coming home
I have read earlier trip reports on the islands but if anyone has any other ideas on where to go, stay, etc, let me know!
thanks
Craig

Assuming sunny weather, take an evening flight over the islands... About 45-60 minutes before sunset. Hard to beat the views and smooth air. Have fun!

Personally I suggest staying on Orcas Island. The airport is near Eastsound, and there are all sorts of options from hotels to vacation rentals. Use www.tripadvisor.com to check out lodging choices.

Also check in with the airport terminal (try San Juan Airlines) because there are rental cars available. They are low-end island cars, but that's all you need if you rent at all.

If Orcas doesn't fit your inclinations, then Roche Harbor on San Juan Island has a hotel within walking distance of your plane. Just be aware that the hotel is old enough that rooms are small. Really cool setting though!

Friday Harbor

Friday Harbor is a neat town, the airport is walking distance to anything in town. I could recommend staying at the Earthbox Hotel there. Lots to do/places to eat in Friday Harbor. Roche Harbor is on the opposite side of the island; quick hop in the RV.

Another option for Orcas Island is to camp next to your plane. They have a large grass parking area, and camping is allowed.

Trying to make it short legs, no mountain flying
This will be difficult going from California to Oregon. If you go up the California Central Valley, you must pass by Mt. Shasta and mountainous terrain, generally following I5. If instead you go up the coast, you will be over ocean, coastal fog extending inland a way, and still hilly/mountainous/forested terrain.

I have flown from N. California to Bellingham (N. Washington) a few times in Cessnas and Aircoupes, much less capable aircraft than the RVs. Whichever route you go, but especially the I5 route, cross the mountains in the morning, earlier the better. If you have oxygen on board, so much the better, you can get higher and be a little safer. In my Aircoupe I always tried to "connect-the-dots" with the small airports along I5.

I see you will make two stops enroute. The second one at Gold Beach is right on the coast, which might be fogged in. I'd recommend an alternate in the Willamatte Valley.

BTW, Ashland, OR is just over the state border from California and has the Shakespeare festivals going. Local hotels should pick you up from the airport and take you to the events. One time returning I stopped by there and had a great time, and I'm not an English major :)

Finally, as you probably know, NW Washington can be rainy and cloudy anytime. Allow lots of time to wait out the weather! When the clouds disappear it is beautiful country there.

If you want to stay out of the mountainous area fly up the coast. It is an absolutely beautiful flight. I have flown both routes and prefer the coast for the beauty. It is only about ten minutes further.

Enjoy the islands.

Ashland

Ashland, OR is indeed a great place to visit. So popular that in the summer neither hotel rooms nor, especially, play tickets, can be guaranteed without an advance reservation. I would not just show up without a plan B.

Transitioning the rocks

I flew up the valley on our way to AWO last week. We stopped at Oroville for fuel.
I have gone the same way several times before each time stopping for fuel furthr S from Mt Shasta each time.
First trip I stopped at Redding, next time Red Bluff now I prefer Oroville a bit as it gives more time to climb and gain altitude before getting alongside Mt Shasta.

I have taken the coast up also but there are places there less hospilable than I-5 along Shasta. Between Eureka and Gold Beach there aren't many "outs" if the coastal fog moves in, and it can move in quick, stay all day and generally mess up your lunch plans.

One of the great things about the San Juans is they are in a " banana belt" of sorts and often times the wx from Whidbey, Oak Harbor and Anacortes W is much better than inland.

I flew my first 1000 hrs in the PNW and have landed at just about all the San Juan strips. If I were to pick a favorite it would be Orcas, Eastsound with camping by your plane the best choice, although there are B&B's a short walk away.

Back