What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Natural Quick Build Progression

N218WZ

I've just about completed the Empennage on my RV-7 and I'm currently planning my next step. I would like to order the Quickbuild options but I have a question or two for the group. I would like to order the Fuselage & Finishing Kit next and then when I've gone as far as I can, order the Wings. I like to know if there's going to be any problems within this process. I also wanted to know about mating the wings and fuselage together if I proceed and what issues I may encounter. I'm sure that I'm not the only builder who wanted to proceed in this order, so I wanted to know if there's any out there. I think this would really help me to stay motivated, allow me to utilize my funds in a more productive manner, and would allow me to proceed in the space I currently have available. Anyone have any helpful advise?

Progression

I recollect the fuselage and wings are paired at the factory on the quick builds.

Nope, wings & Fuse are not paired. The center sections are interchangeable.

I went:
  1. Empennage
  2. Wings
  3. Fuselage
  4. Finishing Kit
The nice thing about this order is that once the wings are done, they can be stashed out of the way a bit more easily than the fuselage can.

I ordered QB wings and SB fuselage. Towards the end of the fuselage section of the build manual / process is when the manual has you mount and drill the wings. I guess that could be done later, but right after drilling the wings you start running fuel lines etc. I am believe completing finishing kit first will make some of that work more difficult. Completing the canopy and support structure will really reduce the access to the area where the lines will be routed.

Maybe a quick call to Vans would be appropriate. They could point out any potential conflicts when completing the finishing kit before the wings.

Back