What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview Xponder 24 months inspection

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
From the Skyview installation manual (11-18 Altitude Encoder Calibration) : "no altitude encoder calibration is possible or necessary".
Should I conclude that the 24 months inspection of the Xponder is not required?

I'm pretty sure the check has to be accomplished every two years, either the VFR check, or if applicable, the IFR check.

The test verifies a lot more than just the calibration, such as proper freq. output, power output, etc.

Nice try, though!! :p

Does FAR 91-411 and 413 (bi-annual altimeter and transponder calibration checks) apply to experimental aircraft in the same way as certified machines - my experience do date has all be certified aircraft and my venture into building an RV12 is all new!

91.411 requires that the altimeter be checked for all aircraft operating IFR
91.413 requires the transponder be checked for all aircraft (with a transponder.)

No exceptions for EAB.

91.411 requires that the altimeter be checked for all aircraft operating IFR
91.413 requires the transponder be checked for all aircraft (with a transponder.)

No exceptions for EAB.

This is clear, thanks Bob (although I wish you were wrong :D)

I've got the D180/GTX-327 combo. The test has been done twice on mine with no issue (VFR Only). The tech made the comment, " Oh a Dynon! I've never failed one yet." --- Just a bit of reassurance!

I've got the D180/GTX-327 combo. The test has been done twice on mine with no issue (VFR Only). The tech made the comment, " Oh a Dynon! I've never failed one yet." --- Just a bit of reassurance!

To give an another point view on the second check at the
600 hour 4 year point found my GTX327 not working correctly which required a $800.00 visit to Garmin,including shipping.:(

Bummer, John!

The only avionics failure I have had is the Garmin 496, and the brightness of the Garmin replacement sucks, so I put in my old 396 which works great.

Garmin avionics are great when they work, but I'm less than impressed by their reliability.

Rich

My understanding is that every time your ADSB logs in to the system, a performance check is accomplished and if there is a problem or it is out of tolerance, you'll hear about it.

Myron,
This isn't completely accurate. The FAA can pull a ADS-B compliance report that detects if the ADS-B aspects of your transponder are in compliance with the 2020 rules.

It mostly focuses on if you are transmitting the correctly formatted data, and if your GPS is acting reasonably.

This does not happen every time you fly or completely automatically, and if you fail, they do not generally contact you. About 1/3 of the aircraft with ADS-B out fail this check right now.

It also does not have the capability to test many of the things that an on-ground transponder check verifies, like output power and altitude encoder accuracy. The compliance report never was meant to be a replacement for 91.413

--Ian Jordan

JP, your transponder need to be checked every 2 years and a logbook entry made. If you have not had this done, then the shop will want to pull the transponder and record the part number, model number, and serial number before the transmitter check.

For a VFR check, the test is quite simple and can be accomplished in about 30 minutes. The shop will verify the the altimeter and transponder are indicating the same value, +/- the tolerance allowed. This test is performed with the altimeter baro set to 29.92

An IFR test is a lot longer and also requires a static system check and altimeter test up to the max altitude the altimeter is certified.

The cost is usually a fixed price regardless of how long it takes. Additional cost may be incurred if problems are found and the shop has to fix something.

When our local FBO started installing ADS-B units some of the customers had problems with th IN portion. The avionics tech told me he was able to confirm the OUT functionality by requesting a report from the FAA since the OUT information is apparently recorded. - Big Bro is watching!😳

At least for the guy here at airport, he says there is no such thing as just a VFR check and that in order to verify that the encoder is putting out accurate data, he has to check the pitot system to ensure it is in fact reporting accurate data with no leaks. I get his logic, I don't agree that it is the only way to test it as there are plenty of folks who do VFR only checks. Interestingly, a second shop in the Denver area charges the same thing he does for a true VFR only check as he does for an IFR check.

He also says that the RV-12 with the traditional Vans pulled rivet static source is not sat and likely wouldn't pass. Of course there are literally thousands of them flying with that.

Just an interesting perspective from one repair station. The guy is very nice and very good.

Carl

The below is from the FAQ page on my website, all I can say is some repair stations like to make up their own rules.

What inspections are required for VFR operations? (sometimes referred to as a "VFR check")

The aircraft transponder must be certified every 24 months in accordance with the requirements of CFR. 91.413. Transponder testing is accomplished in accordance with Part 43 Appendix F.

For new certifications or if the encoder or altimeter has been replaced, a Data Correspondence Check must be accomplished to ensure the altitude data transmitted to ATC corresponds to within 125 feet of the altimeter normally used to maintain flight altitude per CFR 91.217.

(I will add that the "data correspondance" check when the altimeter and encoder data are derived from the same source, like an ADAHRS, is still technically required but only because the outdated reg has never been changed to reflect the new technology).

walt, i have a short question. if a vfr ship has transponder with no encoder, does it need a vfr check? thanks.

walt, i have a short question. if a vfr ship has transponder with no encoder, does it need a vfr check? thanks.

Yes, if you turn on the xpdr then it's required to be checked regardless.
(Anywhere a transponder is "required" also requires you have mode C altitude reporting)

Last edited:
Back