What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A transition to Harmon rocket

csgj

I have about 500hrs in my 6a, and about 25 TW in a citabria/ decathlon with TW cert including all modules in Emergency maneuvering instruction EMT thru Stowell's group in Santa Paula, CA
What do you Harmon rockets guys say about transitioning to a Harmon rocket II or I (if one becomes available) with such low time?
Or is it prudent to just get a -4 or -3 initially?
How much harder is the transition?
Thanks
Craig

I'd say you will spend as much time learning to land a -4 (or almost any "new to you" taildragger) as a Rocket. The Rocket is a pussycat once you get used to the spaghetti gear legs. The other aspect of the "transition" to a Rocket is the speed. Its faster than the -6, but it isnt a jet fighter. If you never feel rushed in the -6 approaching a busy terminal environment, then I can't see where a Rocket will present any significant issue.

Have you been in a Rocket? You are about 10 minutes away from me. Stop by sometime and I'll take you up.

Last edited:
The sink rate of a rocket, pilot only, is similar to the sink rate of a loaded RV6. If you are comfortable with wheel landings you might try them first.
Take offs could give you more potential grief if you apply power as you did in the six. Very slowly apply power, half throttle will easily get the tail up, after which you can smoothly advance the throttle. The plane is not difficult to control on takeoff but until you are used to the extra power you could get get behind the aircraft in seconds with rapid throttle application.

Back