What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-Up Canopy is Missing Frame Bracing

[email protected]

I'm New Here
I am seriously considering the purchase of a very nice RV-7. However, I noticed in a photo of the interior, that the tip-up canopy has no forward frame bracing (three pieces of angled sheet metal with big holes), something I've seen in other tip-up's. Does anyone have any good advice for me? Thoughts? Is it a deal-breaker?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the RV6's didnt have these support brackets and I think they were just fine. Maybe the early RV7's didnt either? Is it a deal breaker? probably not...but reserve judgement until you hear from some others.

...and welcome!

My RV-6 has no bracing of any kind. I think it means you need to use more care in opening and closing the canopy. I always do that myself and introduce a bit of side load to keep things straight. Also, when closing I need to assure alignment as I have no alignment blocks.

I don't consider it a real issue as long as the operator is aware of how to do things.

I wouldn't think so

Of course it depends on your benchmark for perfection. There are plenty of earlier model canopies flying without braces.

In practice, the canopy will be quite a bit more mobile in a lateral direction, but only while open so only on the ground and obviously there is no effect on flying characteristics.

Even with these braces installed, tip-up owners are wary of leaving their canopies up on a breezy day. Another practical effect is in closing the canopy where one without braces will need more hand guidance to come down so that the locking lug goes accurately into its hole. That's no problem from outside but can be a bit tricky when closing the canopy from inside prior to take off. You could easily add big delrin/nylon guides on the roll bar above the locking holes, which would help with that.

I just looked at my own canopy, which has the braces fitted. I think it might be possible to retrofit them without too much work. The aft line of rivets through the braces and canopy skin crosses from outside, under the fairing, under the plexi and along the forward edge of the glare shield very close to the plexi. It could be possible to drill from below and use stronger pulled rivets such as CherryMax but I would skip the rivet holes that required drilling up into the edge of the plexi. Of course solid rivets could be used outside the fairing but I would not use them anywhere that bucking was required for fear of cracking the plexi with vibration. It would almost certainly require patching the fairing epoxy and repainting as well as installing some glare shield upholstery to cover the rivet tails. For a great example of that, look for a thread on the subject by tkatc, who did a beautiful job on upholstering his glare shield. The forward rivets go into the bottom flange of the forward brace channel and are pulled rivets per plans, so no problem there

Thanks, Ron, Larry, and James! And Loman, I appreciate your looking at your aircraft! All of you have been very helpful. It sounds like I can add the bracing later if I find I need it. Good news, because I really like the airplane I'm looking at!

Ask the owner builder about the brace. There is another way to stiffen the canopy that is far cleaner than that optional kit that Van's sells. It has to do with doubling up on the fwd channel.

Have the owner demo the open and close procedure for you. You shouldn't see a problem.

I put in the brace asked about by the OP but it wasn't part of the RV-6/6A design when I started building. The build instructions I had said to stiffen that part of the structure by laying up some fiberglass in that forward channel to stiffen it. You might take a look to see if a method along those lines was used instead, but if the plane is otherwise what you want then I'd just be careful with it or as previously suggested, retrofit the brace if you want it.
Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide to do!

Chris

Back