What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint / Strips Graphics

74Papa

Hey group,

I've notice several beautiful paint schemes that use flowing strips on tail, body and wing tips. Are these painted or graphic decals that are applied on a solid color? If decals - does anyone know the company that supply these?

Thanks

Hey group,

I've notice several beautiful paint schemes that use flowing strips on tail, body and wing tips. Are these painted or graphic decals that are applied on a solid color? If decals - does anyone know the company that supply these?

Thanks

Mine are painted. I will also say that masking for them took longer than the paint job did. Using multiple colors makes the process a little more complicated. However, well worth the effort.

paint/ vinyl

They could be either. Painting them is a fairly complex process. Vinyl can be removed and changed whenever you get the urge. The process is to create a high resolution file in Illustrator or EPS programs then print it onto 3M Controltac vinyl, laminate it and install. A good sign shop should be able to work with you and some profile shots of your aircraft to create a Photoshop file with the image on your plane for you to approve. Must be a sign shop that knows what it is doing.
My 7a is polished and I am slowly painting the fibreglass pieces in place. She has been flying for several years. I plan to add vinyl graphics in due course. Cheaper than painting!

Tim

Decals are Good

I recently ordered from Aero Graphics two sets of white checkers to attach on the bottoms of my RV-8A Flaps. The flaps are mounted so the sizing had to be exact because there would be no way to trim any overage. I spoke with James and sent him a fax with exact measurement. Cost $75.00 per flap and they arrived in a couple days. Detailed instructions for attaching and a very helpful squeegee was included. Took about two hours on my back to attach and D bubble. Fit was perfect. They look great! and really set off the Bluebird. I'll send a pic next week if I remember to take the camera to the airport in the morning. Can't say enough about how pleased I am with the company, folks and product.
Bill Phillips:)

Back