What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting wheel pants

Skint

Well Known Member
I have put this off and off but bit the bullet this last weekend. Either I had to scrape the bugs off the pants, fairings etc or paint them. If I have to get my aging bones down THERE it better be worthwhile. ( Yes, I check the tire pressures.....after 2 Advil and a warm up session).

So I pulled em off and took em to my shop. Whilst down there on my back I did check everything in the vicinity and avoided smacking my head for a change. At least I have a massive First Aid kit at the hangar these days.

I knew this would be an arduous adventure having tackled the cowling earlier.

I tried different techniques. Sanding, epoxy primer/filler ( 3 coats), sanding. Sanding, filling with a squeegee with the blue filler, sanding and then priming. Sanding. So I ended up with parts in different stages that got there with different techniques. What seems to work the best for me is sanding, 3 coats of epoxy primer/filler. Once dry, scrutinize the parts for pinholes. Fill with red putty. Sand and reprime. Sand.

Lotta sanding.

You gotta watch out for the pinholes because they may actually be dust or overspray on your glasses!

My shoulders ache. My nails are sanded down to stubs but tonight I think I was getting somewhere. Could even get some paint on some parts tomorrow. So 3-4 hours Saturday and 3-4 Sunday. Couple tonight.

Lotta sanding

But when these babies go back on my RV, I expect to pick up 7.2 knots as the air flows slickly over that smooooooth surface.

Lotta sanding though....

Back