What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun and Fun questions (to shop for an rv)

csgj

Never been to Osh or Lakeland for the fly in's
Wondered how much rv's are represented in each of the events and if the Sun and Fun coming up in march would be a good place to shop and compare rv's (already built)? Do many sellers use the fly in's to sell their baby?
I would be coming from the west coast so it would be a bit of a hassle to set up but doable. Or I could wait for Osh Kosh but that is longer than I would like to wait
Of course I would enjoy all the other activites but would primarily go for shopping and comparing.
Thanks
Craig

I can't answer your questions but do you know what model/configuration you want? If not, decide that at home.

Then there is Barnstormers and the classifieds here that may be a better source of planes than a fly-in.

I agree that online is a good resource but Airventure has literally hundreds of RVs with some for sale. SunNFun just ain't what it used to be as they haven't benn overly fly in friendly the past few years (gearing more toward general ,public and losing sight of the trade show aspect).

I've only attended Sun n Fun for the past two years but living in Florida I have heard of its decline. Last years debacle with the storm damage pushed many over the edge (search the forum for horror stories). Apparently the former CEO wasnt even a pilot. I don't personally know "Lites" but several of my friends know him well since they served together in the Navy. The day after Lites got the head position at S-N-F one wrote him a letter of "congratulations" followed by a long list of suggestions to improve the fly-in experience. He seems to be receptive and even solicitous of ideas to improve the program. It is my hope that that folks will give Lites and S-N-F another chance this year.

As far as purchasing an RV there, I don't recall many for sale although there were quite a few in attendance I wasn't specifically looking for sales however so I may be mistaken.

Hi Craig.

I agree that you'd have a much better selection, either on Barnstormers or here.

It's quite a hassle to come all this distance and see one or two for sale.

Best,

I was the last plane to leave SnF last year before the tornado hit. I will not be attending again until some of the policies are changed. Since the event was given to private enterprise, I feel that it is a bit of a rip-off for the pilots who fly to the event. Fees to attend are quite high, especially when we are part of the show.
That being said, there are usually quite a few RV's in attendance (usually over 100 depending on weather). It is a good spot to see what is available although I agree that there may not be many for sale. Check the suggested ads and maybe list what you are looking for specifically here on Vansairforce.
Good luck and welcome to the club.

for sale...or not? that is the question!!!!

Not to sound like a "used car saleman....." etc. but if you do see the exact model you want, built by an A&P, equipped exactly like you want, leave the guy a note.
Half the builders are looking for an excuse to start another project, and for the right price, would consider selling. Others wouldn't give up their 'babies' for any price, but I don't think they'd be offended....in fact, they might just know of a hangar queen back at their home base that IS for sale, or may be, but isn't advertised.
I found mine by word of mouth, before it ever had a sign on it, or appeared in print.
Never guessed in a million years it would be for sale, and right at my home field!

To get back to your question, I go each year to Sun & Fun and in the past there have been quite a number of RV's represented. I always see for sale tags on some of the planes. Whether there will be as many this year as last, we will have to see. I don't let the politics of the event bother me so I will be back this year.

I was the last plane to leave SnF last year before the tornado hit. I will not be attending again until some of the policies are changed. Since the event was given to private enterprise, I feel that it is a bit of a rip-off for the pilots who fly to the event. Fees to attend are quite high, especially when we are part of the show.

Not if you fly in a cheap wannabe warbird---they've already announced multiple free admission passes, fuel, and a vehicle pass. Never understood how someone buys a cheap L or O series whorebird and is treated as royalty at these shows but show up in a quarter mil high end homebuilt that took 10 years of hard labor to build and you get diddly squat.

Back