What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Great pilot's bifocal sunglasses

gereed75

Well Known Member
Found some great pilot's bifocal sunglasses while in the fishing store (Bass Pro) -I-GOGS.

What makes them great is that the bifocal portion is clear glass (no tint or polarization). That means that when you look up, you have polarized sunglasses, when you look down, you have non-polarized, non-darkened, close magnification. These were designed for fishermen so that when they look down at their GPS units, they can see them clearly. Often these are hard to see because of the polarized interference.

Works great for us in the cockpit too!!

Available in sport stores, list $20.00.

polarized sunglasses

At one time, polarized sunglasses were a "no-no" in an airplane cockpit due to the combination of polarized lens and the windshield at just the right angle causing blind spots out there in the distance. I don't know if this is an old wives' tale or if there is some truth to it, but I've stayed away from the polarized lenses for about 25 years.

Hazebusters sells some really good bifocal sunglasses. They used to advertise here but I'm not sure if they do anymore. Customer service is fantastic as well.

Here's a brief technical article on the AOA page. The third bullet discusses the possibility of a "reduced retinal image" with polarized lenses behind an aircraft windshield. Dr. Nakagawara is or was head of the FAA's vision group at OKC.

Last edited:
Beware the $20 lense

I have not seen the I-gogs, they may be great, but the fishin' glasses I've seen had really crappy molded in bifocal 'dots' on the lower lense, and where they transitioned back to the regular lens, the distortion was terrible!
My optometrist told me to do this test, to avoid eyestrain, and generally identify cheap molded, not ground, lenses.
Hold the glasses horizontally, in front of you like you are reading a book.....( so that you can see the reflection of overhead lights in the store.)
Roll the glasses slowly so that the reflection moves from edge to edge & around the entire lens. You'll quickly see where the image distorts, and while not immediately noticable in use, you may wonder why you get eyestrain only when wearing them, and not your Serengeti or Ray-bans!

Intersting article with info on light transmittance....since we all wear shades, and then fly under clouds etc. where they are not much help.

+1 for the Hazebusters. I've had mine for 2 years and love them in the auto. I had to get trifocals for different distance for reading dash instruments as opposed to reading charts so don't use them in the plane but if you only need one magnification they are great and positioned perfectly for the airplane dash.

Not all alike?

I have not seen the I-gogs, they may be great, but the fishin' glasses I've seen had really crappy molded in bifocal 'dots' on the lower lense, and where they transitioned back to the regular lens, the distortion was terrible!
My optometrist told me to do this test, to avoid eyestrain, and generally identify cheap molded, not ground, lenses.
Hold the glasses horizontally, in front of you like you are reading a book.....( so that you can see the reflection of overhead lights in the store.)
Roll the glasses slowly so that the reflection moves from edge to edge & around the entire lens. You'll quickly see where the image distorts, and while not immediately noticable in use, you may wonder why you get eyestrain only when wearing them, and not your Serengeti or Ray-bans!

Intersting article with info on light transmittance....since we all wear shades, and then fly under clouds etc. where they are not much help.

I've had good luck with these:

http://www.eyeneeds1.com/bostrxtibi.html

The bifocal lens appears to be bonded on rather than molded, and they pass the distortion test described above.

Another cheap source for reader sunglasses (and clear, for the shop). Check the different brands and look for the reader, or bifocal ones. All are safety glasses too and are cheap enough to have several. I've been buying them for years.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/

I like the wrap around kind. They keep the glare out.

I like the UVEX brand, the 1.5 diopter sunglasses are distortion free and they fit well inside the headphones (for the first few hours).
They have many styles, shades and magnifications.They don't look like horrible old safety glasses, although they do make some large ones that fit over your prescription glasses as well.

I would advise care if you look into polarized. If I wear them, the display on the SL30 ans SL70 goes completely dark, unless I tilt my head sideways at 90 degrees. I also had an experience awhile back on a bfr when the CFI thought i was crazy, but I didn't see the comm radio in his 172 due to the polaroid glasses. So just check your panel first!!

I wear prescription trifocals and have them made clear on the bottom, perfect for my 8.

I would advise care if you look into polarized. If I wear them, the display on the SL30 ans SL70 goes completely dark, unless I tilt my head sideways at 90 degrees. I also had an experience awhile back on a bfr when the CFI thought i was crazy, but I didn't see the comm radio in his 172 due to the polaroid glasses. So just check your panel first!!

I wear prescription trifocals and have them made clear on the bottom, perfect for my 8.

Great point Marshall,

The airline I work for will not allow polarized sunglasses due to the issues mentioned on this thread. I have invested in a great pair of non polarized bi-focal sunglasses from eye-masters and have no regrets.

Amazing how we will spend 70K+ on a top notch aircraft and then $20 on a pair of sunglasses to wear when flying. If you think you have good clarity with $20 sunglasses, it's only because you've never had a really good pair of optical quality lenses. There are many brands, but if you ever invest in some good ones, you will never go back.

I agree with diamond. I've been wearing Revos for 20 years. I add "stick on" reading lenses for close work and reading. The color, clarity, and UV protection of Revos is unmatched IMHO. I am blessed with extremely good distance vision. I only have two eyes, I want the best sunglasses I can find.

Last edited:
Amazing how we will spend 70K+ on a top notch aircraft and then $20 on a pair of sunglasses to wear when flying. If you think you have good clarity with $20 sunglasses, it's only because you've never had a really good pair of optical quality lenses. There are many brands, but if you ever invest in some good ones, you will never go back.

Maybe I'm buying cheap sunglasses because I spent 70k (or whatever) on the airplane... :)

I flew with Ray Bans for many years. They were great, but to get them in bifocal requires a pricey custom Rx. Then I only have one pair, which can be lost. I honestly can't see a difference in optical quality with the $23 model. I can also keep at least two pair in the airplane at all times in case I leave a pair behind at an FBO. If they get scratched or damaged I throw them away. I also like the fact that I'm wearing wrap-around safety glasses, for the day a bird decides to visit the cockpit.

To each his own I guess.

Back