What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aera cable

Jim Percy

Well Known Member
I'm interested in connecting the GPS output from my Aera to an A-B switch for my autopilot (as a backup/alternate for my panel-mount). I know I can buy the bare wire mount for $65 (and wait 6 weeks...), but I'm wondering if the cable provided with the yoke mount is the exact same thing. Has anyone cut into it to see if the wire colors match what's in the manual?

Thanks!

Hey Jim!!!!

Garmin cables do not necessarily have the other wires in them...

One time I cut into a 296 power cord thinking I was going to find the speaker output wires in there and they were not there!!! I ended up splicing the cable back together!

That being said, to get bare wires for the Aera, all you need is this cable:

11-08088.jpg

Aircraft Spruce # 11-08088

No reason to wait 6 weeks! Your local ACS states they have em in stock...

I bought one and it works great as I have my Aera installed and working in my panel....

Almost done with Phase I. Thanks for the motivation when I was out there!

Last edited:
Thanks Brian. I hadn't gotten around to looking for it locally- the 6 weeks came from the Garmin site. Sure would seem from a manufacturing perspective that the cables would be the same, but I suppose knowing Garmin they're paying extra to deliberately prevent people from doing what I'm proposing.

I may still take a look inside the cable. Would it be possible to determine which pin on the mount is for data out (blue wire, apparently)? Can't tell from the photo, is the cable shielded?

Glad to hear you're nearing completion of Phase I! Hope it has gone well. You about ready to fly some formation then? Let me know, I'll see if I can hook you up!

Back