What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airworthy!

Craig23

Well Known Member
Hello Everyone,

The inspector from the Oakland FSDO came up to Santa Rosa today and knocked out my airworthiness inspection. I was a little nervous, but the inspector was very helpful and friendly. I am now the proud owner of a new airworthiness certificate and look forward to a first flight soon.:D I'm traveling down to The Great State of Texas this weekend to go through my transition training with Alex De Dominicis. I really hope the weather cooperates! I'd hate to fly all the way down there and have to sit in my hotel all weekend.

I hope to have my first flight post, with pictures of the grin, on the forums soon.

Take Care,

Craig

Congratulations

Posts like this keep me going. Congratulations Craig please post transition training report and pictures after first flight.

I will.

I've been looking forward to posting first flight pictures for about 9 years, so I will make sure to pit a few up here. Maybe in a week or two?

The inspector from the Oakland FSDO came up to Santa Rosa today and knocked out my airworthiness inspection. I was a little nervous, but the inspector was very helpful and friendly.

I agree - the Oakland FSDO folks were awesome when they inspected my RV. I think we are very lucky in norcal land.

FSDO

How did you guys get an inspector from the Oakland FSDO? When I called, they told me to contact a DAR as they did not do that any more!

How did you guys get an inspector from the Oakland FSDO? When I called, they told me to contact a DAR as they did not do that any more!

You gotta be a member of chapter 124.................:D

Craig, why didn't you just go up to Van's and fly with Mike?

I nagged them!

The first time I called they referred me to a DAR too. I called the supervisor back and asked if the FAA didn't do airworthiness inspections anymore, or was it maybe just a scheduling issue. He assured me that they would do the inspection, but may not be able to get it done as quickly as I wanted. I was still a few months out at that point. At the end of March, the inspector assigned to my area told he he could fit me in on June 24th. When I said that I would make alternate arrangements he said that if I could meet him on short notice he might be able to do it in April or May. I have a lot of flexibility in my work schedule now, so I jumped on that. I kept in touch with him every few weeks, and he gave me about a week's notice of the inspection date. All in all it worked out well.

I was going to fly with Mike in Oregon, but liked that Alex's airplane is set up very similar to mine. We both have 180hp engines with constant speed props. His instrument panel has more gadgets than mine, but we both have an AFS EFIS and TruTrak autopilot. I had enough credit card points to make the travel free, so I just decided to go with the more similar airplane.

I'm leaving in about an hour, so I'll post an update on the transition training when I return next week.

Take Care,

Back