What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First wing fit: shall I use NAS bolts?

Camillo

Well Known Member
Hi.
I am about to fit my wings on the fuselage and heard terrible stories about NAS bolts fit.
I was wondering if it is necessary to use them for a first fit (cutting the hole in the rear spar, cutting the fuel tube, making the hole for flaps, etc...) or if it is possible to use standard nuts. That way I guess it would be easier to place them.

Second question is: if I can use standard nuts, which are a subsititute for the NAS? NAS1304-50 may be changed with AN4-50. Isn't it? And NAS1307-50? They are 14/32'' bolts. Are them a AN3?

Thanks.
Camillo

Wing taper pins

Just go to Lowes aircraft supply and buy 3 - 7/16" dia 4" long stainless bolts, grind the threads off and taper the ends to make guide pins.

The "trick" to eventually putting in the NAS bolts will be put them in the freezer and use something like "lubriplate" grease.

The SS taper pins are plenty snug for initial wing fit up.

NO!!! Use hardware store bolts, preferrably with the threads ground off. There is no need to use nuts at all, just use the bolts as pins.

My wing bolts went right in with little effort (final installation). I used Boeshield T-9

Thanks to all.
I am about to order 4 AN4-50 and 4 AN7-47 (cheaper than the -50s) cadmium plated bolts from Spruce. No nuts.
Do you think that 4 & 4 (instead of 8 + 8) will be enough?

I'll go against the common grain here. I used NAS bolts, and put all of the close-tolerance ones in during initial wing fitting. I just wanted to be absolutely sure they would all go in... would be MUCH easier to fix a problem now than later. I then bought fresh NAS bolts for final wing attach. Not really that much extra money to buy fresh bolts in the grand scheme of the project.

Back