What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Converting to Fuel injection

algrajek

Well Known Member
I am considering converting my O-360 to Fuel injection. Is it pretty straight forward? Or does there need to be mods done to the Airbox etc? I guess I would also need a higher pressure fuel pump? And is it WORTH making the change?
Thanks
Al

I made the change and it is not too difficult. You will need the servo, spider, lines and injectors, as well as a new mech fuel pump and new boost pump,typically requiring new location and new plumbing.

Worth it is relevant to your goals. Key benefits are elimination of carb icing and better fuel economy after balancing the injectors. I dropped between .5 and 1 GPH during LOP cruise over the carb, once I balanced the injectors.

No major mods require, though you will need to fabricate a new lid or adaptor plate for the air box and possibly replace it depending upon which one you have. I don't think the carb airbox will work, but have never tried it. I suspect the filter has too narrow of an OD to cover the larger bolt pattern of the servo.

I saw that Mike was selling a complete FI setup at a decent price. Note, it may require new restrictors for a 360 installation. Don will give you good guidance on best restrictor size.

Note that the servo is almost an inch taller than the carb and not sure if it can be shoe horned into a 320/carb cowl. The 360 cowl presumes the servo and is tall enogh, so you should be ok.

Larry

Last edited:
I just did this last winter using the Airflow Performance FM 150. I bought package from them. The Fab air box fits but will need a spacer between the carb and air box plate to space it down as the FM 150 is slightly shorter than the carb. A new throttle and mixture bracket and possibly cables will be needed. Electric fuel pump mounted in the cabin.
Not a weekend project, but very worthwhile.

Don't forget aerobatics

I must interject here. Arguably the biggest advantage is the fact that you will have an engine that will run in zero and negative G conditions. People are always asking me to tell them how to equip their RV for aerobatics. I even wrote a few magazine articles on the subject. (Sport Aviation, August 2016) Fuel injection is high on the list. Next is an inverted oil system, inverted fuel system, ratcheting second seat belt, parachute, inverted brake fluid reservoir, competition sight gauge, etc. Interestingly, a constant speed propeller is nearly the last item on my priority list for equipping for aerobatics.

I just did this last winter using the Airflow Performance FM 150. I bought package from them. The Fab air box fits but will need a spacer between the carb and air box plate to space it down as the FM 150 is slightly shorter than the carb. A new throttle and mixture bracket and possibly cables will be needed. Electric fuel pump mounted in the cabin.
Not a weekend project, but very worthwhile.

Was this with a 0320 or o360?

I have an o360 wide deck case w an o320 engine so I’m assuming they still used the o320 cowl how can o tell the difference?
Assuming this would give me a little extra HO as well?

Also fuel pump in cabin? Why would you ever put fuel in the cabin and I’m missing something here?

Last edited:
Back