VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

  #1  
Old 10-28-2019, 01:39 AM
rjbob rjbob is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 126
Default Electro-Air Electronic Ignition Question

I am replacing my duel Lightspeed Plasma electronic ignition (in my RV-7...IO-360) with a single Electro-Air system alongside a standard magneto.

The Lightspeed unit I'm replacing uses the Hall Effect sensors.

The magneto will be on the left. I haven't yet acquired the mag.

I have already purchased the Electro-Air single system.

Can anyone with (or without) experience doing this offer any suggestions?

THANKS!
__________________
Bob Edison
RV-7 N749ER...(GO NINERS)
ATP CFI-II-ME
Anchorage, Alaska
Let me know if you're RVing to Anchorage!

Last edited by rjbob : 10-28-2019 at 01:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-28-2019, 08:03 AM
rmarshall234 rmarshall234 is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 169
Default

What you are going to is the exact set-up I had on my RV-3 w/ an O-320. I had the mag pick-up instead of the external sensor. It was The Bomb. Any particular questions? I wouldn't install a timing advance system w/o a cockpit display of the timing read-out, however.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-28-2019, 08:54 AM
cajunwings cajunwings is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: new iberia la
Posts: 658
Default Mag/ElectroAir

Not sure exactly what you are asking? Looked after a couple RVs with this setup. Both had the MTH installed in place of the right mag, and coil pack on upper firewall. 1 plane had control box on engine side of firewall, other had it inside(ElectroAir recommends inside). Both had MAP sensor in engine compartment (I think now they recommend inside for that as well). I think switches work better for the run up checks of this ignition setup than key switch. I probably have a couple photos I could email to you.
Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-28-2019, 08:56 AM
chaskuss chaskuss is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 1,463
Default What version?

Bob, what version of the Electroair electronic ignition did you purchase? Is the pickup mounted in the right mag hole or is the pickup counting the teeth on the starter ring gear?

Charlie
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-28-2019, 09:04 AM
chaskuss chaskuss is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SE Florida
Posts: 1,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunwings View Post
Not sure exactly what you are asking? Looked after a couple RVs with this setup. snipped 1 plane had control box on engine side of firewall, other had it inside(ElectroAir recommends inside). Both had MAP sensor in engine compartment (I think now they recommend inside for that as well) snipped
Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer
Definitely install the control box and preferably also the map sensor inside the fuselage. In the automotive World about 95% of all cars and trucks have the PCM ( powertrain control module AKA engine computer) installed inside the passenger compartment of the vehicle. The other 5% have the PCM installed under the hood. Guess which vehicles are notorious for PCM failures??? Anything electronic has two enemies, heat and vibration. Under the cowl you have bucket loads of both. Consider putting a blast tube on the coil pack to help keep it cool. That will help extend the life of these components. Try to mount them on the firewall somewhere that will keep them away from the worst heat under the cowl.

Charlie
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-28-2019, 01:54 PM
Ralph Inkster Ralph Inkster is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 571
Default

Be sure the control module and coil pack housings are WELL grounded, otherwise follow the factory install instructions which are straight forward.
__________________
Ralph
Maintain lots, upgraded - repaired - & modified more, rebuild a few, & built some too.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-28-2019, 04:30 PM
lr172 lr172 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 4,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaskuss View Post
Definitely install the control box and preferably also the map sensor inside the fuselage. In the automotive World about 95% of all cars and trucks have the PCM ( powertrain control module AKA engine computer) installed inside the passenger compartment of the vehicle. The other 5% have the PCM installed under the hood. Guess which vehicles are notorious for PCM failures??? Anything electronic has two enemies, heat and vibration. Under the cowl you have bucket loads of both. Consider putting a blast tube on the coil pack to help keep it cool. That will help extend the life of these components. Try to mount them on the firewall somewhere that will keep them away from the worst heat under the cowl.

Charlie
My BMW has the ECM under the hood. 180000 miles without incident. That said, I wouldn't necessarily expect the electroair to be as hardened as the Bosch units.

Larry
__________________
N64LR
RV-6A / IO-320, Flying as of 8/2015
RV-10 in progress
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-28-2019, 04:39 PM
rv6ejguy's Avatar
rv6ejguy rv6ejguy is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 5,441
Default

Many auto OEMs have the ECM under the hood over the last decade. Reliability doesn't seem to be an issue in my experience on the better brands. Electronics are much more robust post 2010ish than they were in the 1990s.

That being said, some of the brands of aircraft EIs I've seen are nowhere close in design or component quality to even those 1990 era auto ECMs.
__________________

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 436.1 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi2.htm


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-28-2019, 05:24 PM
rjbob rjbob is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaskuss View Post
Bob, what version of the Electroair electronic ignition did you purchase? Is the pickup mounted in the right mag hole or is the pickup counting the teeth on the starter ring gear?

Charlie
Hello from Alaska, Charlie!
Thanks for the response.
The system I purchased is the EIS-1 MTH Kit 4cyl Lycoming Ignition.
Just starting to go through the manual and it appears that the pick-up will be in the mag hole.
Bob
__________________
Bob Edison
RV-7 N749ER...(GO NINERS)
ATP CFI-II-ME
Anchorage, Alaska
Let me know if you're RVing to Anchorage!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-28-2019, 05:30 PM
rjbob rjbob is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunwings View Post
Not sure exactly what you are asking? Looked after a couple RVs with this setup. Both had the MTH installed in place of the right mag, and coil pack on upper firewall. 1 plane had control box on engine side of firewall, other had it inside(ElectroAir recommends inside). Both had MAP sensor in engine compartment (I think now they recommend inside for that as well). I think switches work better for the run up checks of this ignition setup than key switch. I probably have a couple photos I could email to you.
Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer
Hi, Don,
Appreciate the response. Photos would be outstanding...Thank you in advance!
My email...bob@jetmodeler.com
When you fly your RV-9 to Alaska, lunch is on me!
Bob
__________________
Bob Edison
RV-7 N749ER...(GO NINERS)
ATP CFI-II-ME
Anchorage, Alaska
Let me know if you're RVing to Anchorage!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:31 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.