Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-03-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Alvord View Post
I've been chasing some pmag issues over the last few weeks. 1st noticed as my RPM was jumping around and then just stopped working. We cleaned all the contacts and then it appeared to be working well again, but soon started bouncing again. There was no change when doing run ups an checking mags. Last week I replaced the plugs (clearly the gaps were off) when I took the plugs to NAPA I was given a replacement plug and told it would be good, needless to say the plug was 1/2inch shorter thread, and 1" longer top (Obviously not a replacement). The original plug was NGK R 3035 BR8ECM, which is interesting now as I read the above and there is no mention of that number. I'm still trying to figure out which PMAG it really is, and how to service it. The RPM's are reading normal but jumping occasionally to a higher RPM. Any insight would be great.

Jon
I wonder what the difference between a BR8ES and a BR8CEM is? I've been running the BR8ES with good results, but I think I might try the Autolite 386 next time I do a condition inspection (January). I am also going to see about sending my E-Mag 113 in to have it converted to a P-Mag 114. I read on another post it is about $380, money well spent as far as I'm concerned.
first flight May 2, 1997
Old 11-03-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Weisgerber View Post
I wonder what the difference between a BR8ES and a BR8CEM is? I've been running the BR8ES with good results, but I think I might try the Autolite 386 next time I do a condition inspection (January). I am also going to see about sending my E-Mag 113 in to have it converted to a P-Mag 114. I read on another post it is about $380, money well spent as far as I'm concerned.
Most important is that you get the latest firmware update to your P-mags. This is critical for continued safe operation.

I have been running 114 boards in my 113 P-mags since the 114's came out. No issues at all. Well worth the cost of the upgrade!
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 11-03-2019, 07:54 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysailor View Post
There are four RV's I know running Autolite 386 plugs with the PMAG including mine. All report excellent results.
Thanks, good to know. I think I will switch back to the Autolite 386 at next condition inspection.

Dan Thompson
RV-6A - N426JM - 180hp / C.S. / dual PMags
NC26 - Long Island Airpark, NC
Old 11-04-2019, 06:26 AM

Note for parallel valve owners...the plug numbers discussed here are probably all short reach, for parallel valve engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
We do not recommend running past 100 hours with any automotive spark plug.

The reason is that with an EICommander installed, the pilot will notice the deterioration of the spark event once past 100 hours. This is regardless of if the standard plugs or iridium plugs are installed.

The pilot will not notice a difference unless they have a way to "read" the P-mag spark events.
Did you ever find that report?

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...3&postcount=14

Last edited by DanH : 11-04-2019 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
Most important is that you get the latest firmware update to your P-mags. This is critical for continued safe operation.

I have been running 114 boards in my 113 P-mags since the 114's came out. No issues at all. Well worth the cost of the upgrade!
Where do you get this from, and how do you update it?
Old 11-04-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Alvord View Post
Where do you get this from, and how do you update it?
I'm not sure what form you mean. I contacted E-Mag today, they told me that it will cost $350 to upgrade from an E-Mag to a P-Mag with the firmware updates. They told me the turn around time is 3 to 4 days.
first flight May 2, 1997
Old 11-23-2019, 05:58 PM

Default I too use 386 plugs

Started with BR9-ES but wanted to ditch the adapters so switched to 386 plugs on my pmag 200 hrs or more ago. When I added second p mag I went right to 386 plugs. They are $8 for 4 of them so when I change oil at 25 hrs I replace top or bottom plugs alternately. Usually discarded plugs are in pretty good shape with minimal lead deposits.