Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-27-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7charlie View Post
Just a heads-up: I'm doing my 1st annual on my new to me Lightspeed Plasma II equipped -6. I downloaded the manual today from the LSE website; here's a quote:
quote:
2.4 SPARK PLUG ADAPTORS AND SPARK PLUGS
Aircraft engines using 18mm & reach spark plugs use adaptors with the same
outside thread and a 14mm & reach inside thread.
Use LSE high performance HP plugs, Denso spark plugs starting with a W or NGK
spark plugs starting with a B in their designation.
Aircraft engines using 18mm & 7/8 reach spark plugs use one of the following:
o LSE long reach adaptors with 12mm inside thread for Denso X27GPR-U
or X24GPR-U or equivalent 12mm spark plugs.
OR
o Optionally, for high performance applications, use LSE HP-LR (long
reach) adaptors with 14mm inside thread for high performance HP-LR
or IKH 14mm spark plugs.
Install adaptors in cylinder head using the supplied copper washer.
Torque to 35 - 45 ft-lbs using anti-seize compound.
Install automotive style spark plugs with their washer. Torque to 20 ft-lbs using
anti-seize compound.
unquote.

BTW, I found one of the Denso plugs about halfway out of the adapter. Rather than figure out why (error vs defect), I just picked up 4 of the 386s from our local auto/farm supply.
From section 2, bottom of last page ......... http://www.lightspeed-aero.com/Manuals/Ignition.htm

IMPORTANT: The two high tension leads from each coil connect to spark plugs on opposite sides of the crank shaft. That means one coil fires cylinder 1 and 2 the other coil fires 3 and 4. If your mag fires top and bottom plugs, reroute the cables to fire either all on top or all on the bottom spark plugs. The PLASMA CDI can fire either the top or the bottom plugs. If you use one magneto, your engine runs a little better with the advanced spark on the top plugs.

ALL SYSTEMS:

Ensure wiring is securely fastened, especially near the terminals, to avoid damage from vibration.

Gap spark plugs fired by the PLASMA CDI to .032"-.040" for standard compression engines and .026"-.035" for high compression engines. Turbo / supercharged engines should gap the sparkplugs to .026" - .035" while turbo normalized engines should gap the sparkplugs according to compression ratio. Install the spark plugs and inserts using 15 and 25 lb/ft respectively, using anti-seize.

Connect the manifold pressure line to your ignition processor. If you have a MP gauge in the cockpit, you can tee into that line.

If you disconnected your battery during the installation, don't forget to reconnect it now.
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2019 =VAF= Dues PAID
Old 10-28-2019, 08:35 AM

Default Different Lightspeed Manuals - Different Torques

Just a point of clarification for those, like me, who may read this post in future:

RV7Charlie - Quoted spark plug and adapter torques from the Lightspeed Plasma II, II+, & III system manual.

Gasman - Quoted spark plug and adapter torques from the Lightspeed Plasma I manual.

Perhaps there was a spark plug adapter change between the different versions. Not sure.

Dale
Zeeland, MI (Z98)
VAF Dues Paid

Last edited by Dale D : 10-28-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:35 AM

If you torque the adapters from Emag without a plug in them, such as recommended by LightSpeed, you run the risk of crushing them. (Experience talking here.)

Auto plugs are so cheap, I recommend replacing them every 100 hours (two oil changes), or annually, whichever comes first.

I use a wrench and deep socket to separate the plugs from the adapters, not a big deal.

I also use anti seize on everything. It is cheap insurance that they will come apart.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html