VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-12-2019, 05:48 PM

Default Minimal

I dated and initialed each step in the builder manual when I completed it. If I had to do something over (it happened) there are two sets of dates and initials. I also made notes in the manual, and took a lot of pictures. Got my RC in June of this year.
EAA “Outstanding Workmanship” Award, Oshkosh 2019
Kit #140329
If I had a nickel for every time I didn’t know what was going on, I’d be, like, “Why am I always getting all these nickels?”
Old 07-12-2019, 08:22 PM

I have been using the Windows application KitLog Pro. It is an older program that uses the Microsoft Access database for the file and it has a max. character limit for each entry, but it has worked for me. It also allows you to attach 3 photos to each log entry. With the purchase of the program, you can upload your log to the KitLog website. This can then be viewed using any web browser.

I started out adding photos to most entries, but grew tired of the time and effort this took, so while I have lots of digital photos taken with my iPhone, I stopped uploading them to the log. But I do have them automatically backed up to my iPhone cloud.

When I first started building, I was warned several times by Synergy Air folks (I took their empennage class) of the need for backups, as they knew of a couple of builders who lost their photos due to a computer crash, and almost didn't get their Airworthiness certificate due to lack of proof that they built their plane. One advantage of KitLog Pro is you can quickly back up to their website after every entry, so you have an offsite backup. I also have the data file automatically backed up to my network storage, so I have a further copy should something happen to my laptop.

Like everything in Experimental Aircraft building, there is no one right way to do it. So find what works best for you and enjoy the build.

RV-10 Fuselage Moved to Airport Sept 15th for Finishing.
2019 VAF Dues Paid
Old 07-12-2019, 08:31 PM

I take pictures with my iPhone. Occasionally I back them up.

They tell the story of the build pretty well (and have dates).
2019(?) RV-10
Old 07-13-2019, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
I take pictures with my iPhone. Occasionally I back them up.

They tell the story of the build pretty well (and have dates).
Yep, time-stamped pictures and occasional forum posts/updates. If I tried to document every minute and every step and every part number completed there would be days I'd spend longer on the paperwork than the building work.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:07 PM

Default Wordpress

I've been using Wordpress pretty much forever. When I first started, I was using some weird open-source thing I can't recall the name of now, but Wordpress was able to ingest the files when I ported over. Back then, you had to be somewhat computer-savvy to set it up. Now you don't. If you can navigate a webhost control panel, you can enable and configure Wordpress.

One of the great things about Wordpress is that there's a plugin to turn your blog into a book. (blogbooker?) . With that, I was able to format it for a service that essentially prints books. I got the pages back, nicely printed and 3-hole punched, put in a binder and ready for both DAR and FAA repairman cert inspections. Doing this would have turned my old inkjet printer into a puddle of mush.

If you have a webhost account, you should get Wordpress at the click of a button. Just remember to download backups. and keep them safe in case something goes wrong at your web host.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:21 PM

Another vote for simple blog (see my signature). I used a site call Blogbooker to turn the whole thing into a very high quality PDF that is a permanent record of my build complete with dates, photos, etc.

Also a folder on dropbox with all the photos plus various documents that seemed worth keeping. I continue to add to this folder all the engine and flight data that is stored on G3X.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:14 PM

Default My Kitlog.com

Use my Kitlog.com. Easy fast and you can print it out.
Anacortes, WA
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn
Old 10-18-2019, 11:29 PM

Default backups

Whatever you do, make sure you have backups. Laptops fail. Disks fail. Web companies go out of business. House fires happen. Theft happens. People make mistakes. Assume any or all of these can happen to you, and have a plan to recover.