- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-01-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
Jereme,
You are going to go with the new mount? I talked to them, Vans, about it and there seems to be many changes to the stuff on the firewall and its locations for the new mount. Is this your understanding?

Great work by the way!
Well when I look at the pics it doesn't seem like too much will change. The only things I see maybe being an issue is the fuel supply fitting and the throttle cable. The big rubber isolator seems to be a couple inches away from the firewall. So, there is enough room to use 90 degree or maybe even a 45 degree fuel hose. The throttle cable may be an issue but time will tell, if that's the only thing I have to move I would be happy, although I still think there is enough room to snake it around the isolator. The only other thing in this area (center of firewall) is the cabin heat box and it looks like it will clear it no problem if you count the rivets on the firewall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7ForMe View Post
on the chance to sound like a broken record... you go man! you are going to be done soon and from the pics it really looks like a show plane in the making! keep it up and thanks for taking the time to share.
No problem and thanks for the kind words! Broken records sound good sometimes too.

I don't know about the showplane capability though. haha
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 08-25-2019, 10:01 PM

Man it's been awhile since I posted an update. Probably due to the back to school grind. Gotta educate the people of tomorrow!

I have spent quite a lot of time over the last month working on getting my SolidWorks model situated as best I can and finishing up electrical planning. I recently also started some wiring. I just ordered my radio center stack so it should be getting fun real soon!

After finalizing my design with the helpful input of many on VAF I decided to go ahead and start cutting the panel. It's going great so far, only a few holes left. I am mainly doing this when I get burnt out on something else, no rush.

20190825_202846 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I also ran most of the wires through the wings. I still need to run the coax out to the Archer nav antenna in the right wing. No big deal, fishing wires through this conduit is a piece of cake.

20190825_170603 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I also ran the wires to the flap motor and position sensor (that is still in the mail as of me writing this) and did up a molex connector. Them open barrel pins definitely take a little more care and patients than the rest. I did not take a picture of it but I also used the same connector for the fuel pump.

20190825_170625 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I crimped on some sockets for a D-sub that goes to the roll servo. Making sure that the insulation is ever so slightly off from contacting the pin.

20190824_161335 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Then assembled the dsub and made sure to double up the heat shrink where the wires exit the conduit.

Not gonna lie, this was one of the funnest tasked I have done this entire build. I'm looking forward to more of this.

20190825_170556 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Installed these bad boys on the panel with nutplates. Panel wiring begins!

20190825_170538 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Soldered up the mic and headset jacks per the GMA 245 installation manual. Nice to be soldering and wiring things again. Takes me back to my HVAC days.

20190825_120716 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

I also installed a little tray underneath the passenger seat pan for wing root connections. Many argue that this is not necessary and I agree. However, I also agree with many others that it keeps the ball rolling while the plane is in the garage and not the hangar. Finally, I personally have never heard of this every causing problems, especially if well crafted.

The right side has 8 screw terminals, 7 for the autopilot servo and 1 for the landing and taxi light ground. All the other lighting wires go to the FlyLEDs controller which will be mounted later in the same area. (probably the outer bay)

On a side note: I should probably replace that horrific rivet! lol

20190825_170513 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Installed a 5 terminal version on the left side for pitot heat, fuel cap, and stall warning.

20190825_170531 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Stay tuned for my 3 day weekend. haha Hoping to get a lot more done.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Old 08-27-2019, 12:49 PM

Your plane is so CLEAN inside! I am envious. Great work Jereme, looking great as par usual. Keep it coming I am mimicking what you are doing.
Private pilot, ASEL!
EAA 105 Chapter 7S3
Bi-annual financial contributor

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." Teddy Roosevelt
Old 08-27-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentlik View Post
Your plane is so CLEAN inside! I am envious. Great work Jereme, looking great as par usual. Keep it coming I am mimicking what you are doing.
Thanks Kent, copy away!
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Old 09-05-2019, 10:33 PM

The three day weekend and after work has been kind to me this week. Got lots accomplished while I still wait for the new motor mount.

First I installed the backup ADAHRS unit. It sits a little higher than the one on the right so that is why the aluminum tubing support is off a bit. It also just occurred to me that the adel clamps and screw I used are ferrous, I may need to change this (although there is some ferrous metal in the backshells and connector as they come from Dynon). I also need to add a little RTV on the OAT wires where they come off the rib as a little bit of anti chafe.

20190831_162614 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Ran the network wire down to the newly installed hub.

20190831_164830 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Did some reworking of the shunt and ANL setup so that I could get an ANL before the shunt. The alt. B lead will come off of the first ANL output so now the shunt will see total current going to buses. Not that it really matters, it's just a "cool" number that doesn't really have much use in flight. Also, yes I know the second ANL is redundant but it's already there and installed. In theory it's only job is protecting the wire from the alternator load (the way it's wired here). I could get rid of it and just run a feeder off the master contactor like many do but to be honest I don't like the thought even though it's approved and acceptable. Not to mention, when was the last time you heard of an ANL blowing for no reason? It takes a whooooole lot more than 60amps to blow a 60amp limiter in short order.

20190902_084600 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Next I installed the pos-12 sensor for the flap positioning system. This took longer than expected but it's finally done. I need to wrap a little anti chafe around the wires and it will be done. For anyone interested you will need a DG16 clamp and the travel is pretty much perfect when it is up against the welded doubler on the flap weldment.

20190902_173201 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Lastly, I mounted up the radio stack trays to some angle. I spaced them a little more than 0.050" and used some 0.063" angle to mount them to. This took a bit of time and I ended up doing it twice as I wasn't paying attention to how far back/forward they need to be set. I am going with rear insert to cover up the instrument panel edges. Now I just need to trim up them screws and mount it to the instrument panel.

20190905_190948 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Next up, cut the sub panel for the radio stack and add some support. More on that this weekend.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done

Last edited by jcarne : 09-05-2019 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:34 PM

Panel work is still going strong. Had to cut an opening in the sub panel. I used 0.063 angle to reinforce it, maybe a little overkill but hey it works and the weight increase is small.

20190907_181900 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Finished fabricating the radio stack tray mounts. These will be held onto the panel with six #8 screws into nutplates.

20190907_181918 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

After making sure everything fit nicely I deided to put in a couple of items just for fun. (and to make sure they fit)

20190907_140536 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Next I added the holes for the dimmers I'm using and then it was off to paint.

20190908_150457 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Standby for what I'm going to do for labeling. I may or may not have access to a CO2 laser.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Old 09-09-2019, 06:24 PM

Default Quick Question

Jereme,
Very nice and clean build, QQ, what is the green, grey and black primers you are using? Not that I want to start a debate on prime or not to prime but I am priming some parts and find that everything I've tried is very fragile to nicks etc. Thanks and good luck with your build... I'm working on tail cone and mid fuselage....
Slow build Fuselage in process
Then QB Wings
Littleton, CO
Photo log: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjN4AZyr

Last edited by motodave : 09-09-2019 at 08:42 PM. Reason: typos...
Old 09-09-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodave View Post
Jereme,
Very nice and clean build, QQ, what is the green, grey and black primers you are using? Not wanted to start a debate on prime or not to prime but I am priming some partners not all and find that everything I tried is very fragile to nicks etc. Thanks and good luck with your build... I'm working on tail cone and mid fuselage....
Thanks Dave!

As for the primers. Here we go. Where you see green it is Akzo found here.

The black is Jetflex L09028 interior paint on top of Akzo primer. The gray is Jetflex L09016 interior paint on top of Akzo.

The wingtips and anywhere else fiberglass is primed with Kirker Enduro Prime.

If you are going for primer I HIGHLY recommend Akzo. That stuff is super strong and sticks very very well to the aluminum.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Old 09-09-2019, 11:57 PM

Wow!!! Very nicely done Jeremy. It I may ask, what did you use to make the square cutouts in the instrument panel with.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
Wow!!! Very nicely done Jeremy. It I may ask, what did you use to make the square cutouts in the instrument panel with.
Thanks for the kind words!

I used a jigsaw with a metal blade to make the rough cut. Then filed it down and then cleaned it up with sandpaper. I use 400 grit turners cloth as it is really strong.
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done