What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tanks

Sam Staton

Well Known Member
Is anyone building new tanks? Mine are very old and sloshed, and I think I may be better off with new ones instead of trying to fix these. I searched the forums and came up with an old post that mentioned Evan Johnson, but I can't find him in the white pages and the web link I found doesn't work. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!

Evan did a great job, but

I just helped replace a tank on an RV-4 that was badly damaged hitting a fire hydrant (I know, should stay off the streets with an airplane) --- anyway, tank was too badly damaged to be salvaged. We ordered a new tank from Evan, and he did a great job. The only downside is the new tanks have to be trimmed to fit, and the fastening holes have to matched to the original spar and ribs ---- it is doable, but requires some time and patience.

My -6A could use a "de-slosh" on one tank, and I am torn between a new tank and a "cleaning".

Take care,

Ron

Thanks!

Lots of excellent info, both in PMs and posts. Much food for thought. The main thing I think I have learned so far is, as in most things airplane, to make haste slowly.

Fuel Tanks

Hi Sam,

I just finished removing the slosh and resealing my RV-6 fuel tanks. It took me about 3 months, working 2 or 3 hours a day. I cut 5 inch holes in the rear baffle between the tank ribs, removed all slosh with MEK, resealed all seams and rivets with new proseal and installed new fuel float senders. Closed up tanks using Van's cover plates, leak tested and reinstalled tanks on airplane. It was a big job but I saved several thousand dollars and did not have to repaint my tanks.

Back