What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery lift strap

Sam Staton

Well Known Member
My PC-680 is extremely difficult to lift out of the battery case. I have seen straps that had tabs on each end that went over the studs (I have converted mine to studs instead of the screw attachments), with a non-conductive strap between them that could be used to lift the battery out. Has anyone on the list come up with something like this?

I made my own lift strap. I used two electrical crimp style connector ring terminals and strung some strong nylon cord through the crimp part of the connector, screwed the ring section to each battery terminal, and then lifted the battery out of the box.

Conduction Path

I wouldn't attach anything between the terminals permanently - non-conductive or otherwise. Over time, that connection could become conductive due to build-up of dirt, grease, moisture, etc. As a temporary measure to remove the battery it should be fine.

Duct Tape

Ran a piece of 1" duct tape all around the battery leaving enough slack at the top to form a handle big enough to slip four fingers underneath. Then another 1" piece placed sticky side to sticky side on the "tape handle" part. Voile'! Nice handle that folds down out of the way of the hold down bracket and it won't short out the battery poles.

+1 Nothing permanent between posts

Not a good idea --- I had a thin nylon strap around the battery on my -8A that enabled me to pull it up enough to grab.

Or for those building...

Slice the front of the battery box off, remount with two pieces of piano hinge.

When you require your battery out, pull the pins, remove the front and slide the battery out.

:D

p.s. - First seen on Walter or Dan's site aeons ago.

Or for those building...

Slice the front of the battery box off, remount with two pieces of piano hinge.

When you require your battery out, pull the pins, remove the front and slide the battery out.

:D

p.s. - First seen on Walter or Dan's site aeons ago.

Don't you want the box leak-tight in case of a major acid spill?

Back