What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SV - GPS - 250 Install into RV 7

dave4754

Well Known Member
Hello all:

s!Apov9vtfo19vyxhufC6wPGWv-OVN

I have finally come to grips with the installation of my SV - GPS - 250. So many views on this and what it came down to for me was:

1/ Wanted the antennae out of airstream to eliminate drag.

2/ Full functionality with good view of sky

3/ Although hidden I didnt like the idea of a shelf in the engine compartment dues to heat and the need to bring more wires into the cockpit.

The placement in the photos required making a bracket and some nut plates in behind but in the end it will satisfy all the above concerns I think.

I am a little concerned about heat through the plexi, but many i have read here store them on the glareshield with no problems. Here in Canada it will likely not get that hot but I will have it under a canopy cover anyway. As for the timesin Arizona I think a cardboard covered with tinfoil should work.

Open to any comments, I offer this to the VAF archives for those searching, it is only my answer to a build prob and certainly is not intended for anything but information.

Dave C.

Would someone mind..........

letting me know if they are able to view the pics. I would love to know how someone puts pics in here, like Vlad. He gets awsome pics in here without these silly URL things . How does one do that?

Photo

No. Maybe a security or sharing issue. I did get to your location and saw the photos. Interesting location.

The drag of a GPS antenna is such that you will never be able to measure it.

Thanks

Larry and Mel

Larry, not sure what to do there maybe i will get a better share site, I am close to finishing the fuse now so thought a few post would be a good idea.

Mel, I agree wholeheartedly and that is where it was going until i had my "AHA" moment and got busy. Hopefully it will work out well.

Dave
p.s. still working on those pesky pics problems. Any suggested share sites?

I installed the GPS-250 and 2020 on the glareshield and have no regrets. Only 20 on the Hobbs so far but the antennas work great. I even pick up GPS signals in the hangar.

Back