What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim is stalling out in flight

Mitch757

Well Known Member
My RV-12 has been flying nicely for 40 hours or so but yesterday, after airborne, I found that the trim would not respond as I accelerated. I landed the plane and the trim worked normally throughout the range (26 seconds stop to stop).

A helper put a small resistance on the tab while testing the trim and it stopped the movement.

Anyone have a problem similar to this? I like the trim rate as set. I don't know if speeding up the trim would add more power or not. My control module is the AV-5000A-Rev 0.

Thanks,
Mitch
N2ET

I would double-check the connections before I did any changing to the trim pot. It might be that some slight movement is causing a bad connection in the connector back there. The trim motor has always been a very reliable component; wiring, not so much.

Bob

Problem fixed

I cut off all the wires to the tiny Molex micro fit connectors and installed dsub pins with heat shrink per Steinair web site. The trim works well now.

Mitch:

Do you have a link to that procedure on the SteinAir website?

I had a similar issue with my RV-12 and want to share with A&P if I need to have it looked at.

Ground tested today and seems to be working fine but will flight test again to see if I need to have it looked at.

Thanks

Back