What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lake Michigan

If they don't allow camping, look at the Holland State Park. There is an airport within walking distance and it is right on Lake Michigan.

Some day, I would like to do a fly-out during OSH and go the Mackinaw Island. Just dreaming because for the past six years we have towed the road going RV there.

We are excited but still trying to find out if camping is allowed. As far as we know, there are no facilities of any kind so will need to be very self contained!

Nice

I took my son on a tour of lake mich last year. Hit all the islands we could land on as well as some nice small ones around the perimeter. Did a low and over on the one the rich guy owns with his own HUGE paved jet runway. Tried to get permission but no job. Got to see that one, beautiful.

Will have to try this one.

In 2013 I did two passes and a T&G there. It was rough like Alaska :)

Last edited:
We are excited but still trying to find out if camping is allowed. As far as we know, there are no facilities of any kind so will need to be very self contained!

yeah, the article states that it is open for camping, and that it is truly primitive with no facilities or amenities. :)

If they don't allow camping, look at the Holland State Park. There is an airport within walking distance and it is right on Lake Michigan.

Some day, I would like to do a fly-out during OSH and go the Mackinaw Island. Just dreaming because for the past six years we have towed the road going RV there.

In the past, several RV-10s have flown up for the day midweek. They were even kind enough to bring back fudge for the rest of us camping nearby at Camp Scholler.

It's on my bucket list as well. My wife wants to go as well, which is always an added bonus. She enjoyed flying up to Put-In-Bay a few weeks ago.

Engine-out alternate?

The Fox Island strip might allow a shorter "short-cut" around the top end of the lake. Any of you thinking that you'd just glide to the beach of that closest island would be in for a rocky surprise, for most of the islands Up North. A real grass strip would make me feel "mo' better".:)

Back