- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2018, 09:00 AM

Default SB 16-03-28 Come On Vans

I know this SB has been discussed, but I wanted to caution/ remind other builders. The 3 AN470 4-11 rivets should be replaced with 426s. The 470 factory heads will interfere with the aileron.
I spoke with Vans and voiced my displeasure that an amended SB was not issued. It would save a builder the grief of having to drill out and replace these rivets that they know are not gonna work!
Come On Vans
Old 02-21-2018, 09:15 AM

I had the same issue on QB wings. Call Vans and they will tell you to move the washers around to shift the aileron slightly outboard. I did this on my own (after replacing only one of the rivets with a flush rivet) and it works just fine. I just experimented with the right combo of the same overall thickness of washers/spacer. Of course, I can't recommend you do what I did, but others have commented in other threads that Vans gave them the same advice.
https://turnerb14a.blogspot.com/

Last edited by mturnerb : 02-21-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:32 AM

I like all the guys at Vans, they are a great bunch and I'm a huge fan of their product. But it just seems to be part of their company culture that they'll answer a thousand emails/phone calls/VAF rants about the same issues over and over rather than spend the time to fix them. In some cases such as the mismatch between the upper VS and rudder fairings it's not a quick fix to make it right. In other cases such as rivet callouts in SB 16-03-28, they'd spend less time on their end (and save a lot of grief for their customers) if they'd just fix the documentation...but it's way more fun to work on the RV-15 development than go back through previous documentation and correct errata...
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...
Old 02-22-2018, 12:25 PM

Both the RV-14A and RV-14 prototypes have AN470 rivets in the mentioned locations (I just checked), with no interference from the ailerons, so they obviously can work.

I am not aware of a lot of tech calls on this so it doesn't seem that they are being overwhelmed with this issue, but I will look into it.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 02-22-2018, 02:59 PM

I saw the post on vansairforce before installing these rivets and checked with round heads first. They did interfere with the aileron, so switched to flush rivets.
RV-7 Slider Flying VH-VNZ

2018 Dues Paid
Old 02-22-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootscooter View Post
I saw the post on vansairforce before installing these rivets and checked with round heads first. They did interfere with the aileron, so switched to flush rivets.
Same here.
RV-8A N2D #80583 - built/flew/sold
RV-14A #140017 - wings complete, empacone in progress...
Old 02-22-2018, 06:23 PM

There are only two rivets that cause interference which I swapped out insitu. It's a very easy document change for Van's.
wings almost complete.
Flaps and ailerons done.
Canopy next. Phew!
Old 02-27-2018, 01:14 AM

I am trying to get around these types of issues by having all these threads directly on a digital plan copy in dropbox. Then we can see where issues are visually vs. trying to find them verbally. Eventually I would love it if Vans would update "factory Guidance" live on something like this or with this. See the link in signature.

RV14A Tail kit build in process
RV 14 WIKI in process, residing on Drop Box

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xu5p6f4l7...bU0ck0pJa?dl=0

---For Edit Access drop me a PM with your Email address.
EAA 1300
Donation Paid 2018 (Military exempt) Cause its worth it.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL Pilot View Post
Eventually I would love it if Vans would update "factory Guidance" live on something like this or with this. See the link in signature.
This ever happening in a venue where someone has taken all of Van's plans sheets and publicly posted them without permission and made them accessible by anyone; with Van's having zero control of the content, is rather doubtful.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 02-27-2018, 09:21 AM

I am just dealing with this and it has not been fun. I tried swapping washers method and it was no good, it would put an uneasy preload on the aileron bracket and still had very minimum clearance. The rivets are not the easiest to remove, there is practically no way to push the shaft out so it has to be drilled all the way thru. The first really unhappy feeling during my build on the 14A.