What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

430 Self test with GRT WS

von_flyer

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Does anyone know if the Garmin 430 self test should move the CDI's or heading on GRT Horizon WS? Mine doesn't.

I believe that it should, but I have honestly not watched it do so on my HXr. I believe the 430 sends the CDI data to all outputs, including ARINC, during power on. I can't think of a reason your GRT shouldn't show it.

Does it work properly in the air or at other times? If this is a new setup, you can go into the 430 config mode and force it to do some of these tests. The first place to look for install errors is the wiring and possible A B or input/output reversals on the ARINC wires.

Larry

The obvious answer is that it depends on whether the 430 self test settings are configured to move the needle or not. If it is set to do so, yes it can show on a WS display.

Other speculations include 'show cdi' setting on WS. How is your 430 talking to the WS? ARINC or the direct connection localizer wiring? I don't know if the cdi test deviations will show through only RS232.

Last edited:
Self test

I have a non waas 430 hooked to an HX and haven't been able to get it to test either. Talked to my avionics guru and he hadn't heard of the problem. I'd be interested to know how anyone solves this. My ILS works, but there isn't a start up test...

On boot up, mine sets the CDI on the GRT to 130 degrees, and I have to hit the OK button on the 430 to proceed. Is this what you mean?
430W/GRT HS-1's
Tim Andres

From the installation manual:

5.5.1 Display of Self-Test Data
Following normal power-up, the Data Base Pages are displayed followed by the Instrument Panel Self-Test Page. Pressing the ENT key once then displays the Instrument Panel Self-Test page (see Figure 5-10). During this time, the electrical outputs are activated and set to the values listed below. Press the ENT key to acknowledge the self test page. This is not a required check, although this page can be useful in troubleshooting installation problems.
NOTE
Electronic displays which monitor the 400W Series unit?s ARINC 429 output may vary in how and where annunciations are displayed.

Parameter Self-Test Value
Course Deviation Half-scale left deviation, TO indication, flag pulled
Glideslope/Vert. Deviation Half-scale up deviation, flag pulled
Annunciators All On
Bearing to Waypoint (RMI) 135?
Selected Course (OBS) 400W Series unit displays the OBS value (149.5? if interfaced to an HSI with driven course pointer).
Desired Track 149.5? (Displayed as 150?)

Items below are not displayed on the INSTRUMENT PANEL SELF-TEST page
Distance to Go 10.0 nautical miles
Time to Go 4 minutes
Active Waypoint ?GARMN?
Groundspeed 150 knots
Present Position N 39?04.05?, W 94?53.86?
Waypoint Alert Active
Phase of Flight En Route
Message Alert Active
Leg/OBS Mode Leg Mode
GPS Integrity Invalid
Roll Steering (if applicable) Flight Director commands 0? bank (level flight) for 5 seconds; commands increasing right bank at 1?/second for 5 seconds; commands 5? right bank for 5 seconds; commands decreasing right bank at 1?/second for 5 seconds, until command is 0? bank again. This cycle repeats continuously.

Tim - yes that is part of the self test that I am referring to. Mine does not do that.

Oakland - I will share any/all results.

rz - ARINC I believe. Is there a config in the 430 to determine if the self test is output or not? How does one get there?

lr - old install, fairly new to me. I don't know if it ever did display the self test.

I do have an issue with the setup while doing an ILS approach it captures the localizer but never gets beyond 'GS ARMED' with the glideslope. That is what triggered this curiosity about the self test. I am trying to do some ground work before the radio guys dive into it.

Also, the internal battery message started showing up so I am having that replaced locally. He has a 430W I can borrow to see if it works with the glide slope. I can also see if the self test is different.

RV-7A - thanks, that's exactly what I read and figured I had a great diagnostic tool here. Since I don't see anything at all I question whether I should see anything due to comm protocol, config of 430, config of GRT, etc.

In the learning mode here...

RV-7A - thanks, that's exactly what I read and figured I had a great diagnostic tool here. Since I don't see anything at all I question whether I should see anything due to comm protocol, config of 430, config of GRT, etc.

In the learning mode here...

I'm betting it's a mismatched communications protocol. These test values are no doubt hard-coded in, so as long as there is an output serial pair is set to *something* and not nothing, then this data gets sent out over it. It doesn't know or care what's on the other end.

Check the manual for your CDI/HSI to determine its expected input format, then make sure the 430 is sending that, on the correct serial line at the correct speed, etc.

ETA: I'm assuming you've connected the 430 to your device (GRT WS) per the installation manual for the GRT (looks like it's in Section 9 of the GRT install manual I found).

Last edited:
I believe it all goes through the ARINC. Make sure the ARINC is working by checking ths SET menu.
My HXr definitelt displays the LOC/GS needles when the 650 is in the test page. 430 does same if set up properly.
No bar display, no workee..

On boot up, mine sets the CDI on the GRT to 130 degrees, and I have to hit the OK button on the 430 to proceed. Is this what you mean?
430W/GRT HS-1's
Tim Andres

Same here. I have a 430W with a GRT Horizon WS.

Pretty sure it only started doing this recently -- Vic Syracuse installed some stuff for me and also made sure my WS was configured correctly.

Same here. I have a 430W with a GRT Horizon WS.

Pretty sure it only started doing this recently -- Vic Syracuse installed some stuff for me and also made sure my WS was configured correctly.

It should be showing THIS:

Annunciators All On
Selected Course (OBS) 400W Series unit displays the OBS value (149.5? if interfaced to an HSI with driven course pointer).

If it's showing 130, then that's wrong...

Do you also have an external CDI?

My panel was built by Aerotronics in 2008 and they put a Garmin external CDI on my panel next to the two GRT WS units. There is also a two position switch that allows me switch G430 inputs to the CDI from either G430. When I power up I just select which G430 is connected to the CDI to confirm heading and deflection.

If you don't have this type of setup consider it because it makes a great backup for ILS approaches to the WS information.

rz - ARINC I believe. Is there a config in the 430 to determine if the self test is output or not? How does one get there?

There is a page in the 430 setup that describes the "1/2 left deflection and 1/2 GS deflection display test. However, since it has been a long time since looking there myself, my memory could be wrong about that setup page. I thought it set what the test outputs from the 430 would be (meaning some kind of deflection including nothing as an option) but it could have just been a method to force the outputs to a particular value while there at that page.

I have to look at the manual to remember how to get to those pages. You can too. You have to hold one of the pushbuttons down while turning the unit on.

It should be showing THIS:

Annunciators All On

If it's showing 130, then that's wrong...

I may have been off a few degrees. Basically, it shows the same info that my old Garmin GI-106A in the Warrior used to show.

I had my radio guy put my radio in another airplane that has a steam gauge cdi and it drove the needles, etc. as it's supposed to at the self test page.

Thinking now it's a comm issue or GRT setup issue. Out to the airport this weekend to re-install and try more things.

Back