What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for Kansas airport camping enroute to OSH

Gash

Well Known Member
I'm flying up to OSH from Arizona and thought it would be fun to find an airport campsite on Saturday night near the mid point somewhere in Kansas. I'm looking for suggestions on where to stop. Food within walking distance and fuel would be nice.

Concordia, KS seems to have a nice little spot with campsites at the airport and a Walmart across the street. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks very much.

It's been several years, but I camped Army style at Concordia with a gaggle of National Guard helicopters one weekend and it was very nice. My old Kansas buddies tell me it is even nicer these days.

You sure you want to camp in KS heat? It's still supposed to be 95* at 8PM Saturday night in Wichita.

I'd offer you a free room at my place, not far from 3AU near Wichita, but I'm planning for now on a Saturday morning departure to Osh. Though I am starting to re-think that idea this morning as I look at the Osh weather forecast: strong thunderstorms Saturday evening and night. It's also storming (with possible 60mph winds and hail) there right now. After Saturday looks a little less risky.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like.

95 degrees? I better bring a jacket. :D It's supposed to be 110 F here in Phoenix today. I can't wait to get to some cooler Kansas (and Wisconsin) weather!

I, like Gash am really looking forward to some cool nights in OSH. 85/65 degrees is much better than the 95/80 with humidity that we have here in Central Florida. Funny when I see weather predictions showing a chance of thunderstorms and .03" of rain. We can get 3" not .03" in about 30 minutes.

McCook NE

We camped indoors with cool A/C in McCook last week - I'm sure Shirley at the FBO would help you out. 3 cars and nice places to eat 5 min away.

2 runways and 3.99 Avgas, too. Not sure if it is on your route, tho.

I'm liking the McCook idea Pete. I've been there before for gas...forgot about it. Probably the best FBO staff I've ever met.

Back