What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tipup ingress/egress

joe_rainbolt

Well Known Member
I recently completed a test fit of my cockpit interior and instrument panel. This was the first time I got in and actually sat on the seats and looked at the range of the control column for interference, my reach to the various switches, and my eye-line over the cowl ect. Everything is fine, but the one thing that struck me was how difficult it was to climb in. Perhaps awkward is a better term.

It seems that central issue is the lack of a forward hand hold for support while lowering oneself into the seat. I don't want to grip the top of the panel. I'm just curious if anyone else thinks this is a problem at all. Where are the best places to hold for ingress/egress?

Tip up ingress

I have a method that works for me. In order;
Flaps mostly down at previous shutdown.
Open canopy and put left foot midway on grippy wing walk area.
Right hand on roll bar, step up and put right foot on grippy stuff I installed in front of stick.
Slide right hand to center of roll bar, put left hand on roll bar.
Rest posterior of pilot on top of seat back. Pause and appear confident.
Move right hand down to bar between seats.
Lift up left leg over canopy rail, using left hand to help sometimes.
Put left foot down in footwell without stepping on headset or cord.
Slide down into seat and share the RV grin.
I try not to put dirty foot onto clean seat.
Tail dragger method with left seat pilot. Never been in a nose wheel RV so I can't help there.

It's like climbing in and out of the back seat of a J3 Cub. It is very awkward at first but soon becomes natural.

It's like climbing in and out of the back seat of a J3 Cub. It is very awkward at first but soon becomes natural.

Stepping in the seat makes it much easier. Either use seat upholstery that doesn't show dirt or carry something to drop in the seat when loading and unloading.

I find getting out requires more strength than getting (falling...) in.

Go ahead and grab that panel. It can take it. I step into the seat, put my rear on the backrest, and slide down, moving my feet to the floor as I do. Getting out took a bit of thought but now I turn my torso about 45 degrees toward the other seat (these instructions work for both seats). The inboard hand goes on the seatback support behind the other seat and the outboard hand goes to the instrument panel. With this leverage, I can lift myself up enough to get my feet on the seat under me and then the rest is easy.

I have had two sliders and now a tipper. I wondered the same thing for the first time or two. Now I don't even think about it. Right hand on roll bar, left hand under top longeron, left foot on midpoint of wing walk and up and in without thinking about it or touching the panel. :D

-6A Tipper --- cut the seat backs

down about 4inches, level with cross bar. Easy in/out --- step in on seat, steadying with roll bar, sit on top of seat/crossbar, and ease myself down. Getting out, elbows on crossbar, lift myself up and sit on top of seat/ crossbar, then stand on seat, steadying myself with roll bar. (always leave flaps DOWN!).

EDIT: I am 75+ with lousy knees, hands, shoulders, and am able to do it without too much effort/pain.

Ron

Last edited:
Back